How get browers to use mplayer etc.

hea

I have been trying for a while to get both mozilla1.1, konqueror and opera6.11 to use different mediaplayers to stream movies/sound. I have both realplayer and mplayer installed and appearently working fine, but i always end up with "missing plugin" or "download MSmediaplayer" when trying to make it work. Have anyone managed to solve this? Btw. i did get xine to work as radioplayer via a "choose application" menu. :D

Guest dturley

Is it hopeless:

GCC 2.96 IS NOT AND WILL NOT BE SUPPORTED BY US !

*** For details please read DOCS/users_against_developers.html ***

Error: Bad gcc version

Booted from windows partition last night for the first time in months. I recently got access to adsl-connection and ofcourse had to play with this new toy. Streaming movies has suddenly become possible, well that is if i boot from windows :( . Streaming movies is not a big issue to me, but it would be a very embarrassing if my windows friends should find out that i was not even able to. Is this posible in Linux? Has anyone of you got this working or should i just give it up for the time being?

That is the solution to every pluggin problem:

http://www.hubbe.net/~hubbe/plugger.html

BTW, you don't need to build MPlayer from source. Some nice people out there build it for us and put the result in an RPM. Add some sources (PLF, Textar and maybe Contrib) to your urpmi database and search for 'mplayer' in RPMDRAKE. You should have some entries. Install mplayer with the dependencies and install 'Plugger' too ...

Here is an easy place to get the right command to urpmi.addmedia

http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/urpmiweb.php

Hope that help

MOttS

I had built my MPlayer from source and it worked perfect.

In order to get Mozilla to recognize it:

whenever I clicked on a file that it did not recognize and would ask whether to "Save As or Open With..." ,I would click "Open With..." and browse for the mplayer executable (/usr/bin/mplayer or /usr/local/bin/mplayer), and select it. Then click on Advanced in the "Save As or Open With..." window and create a "Helper Application" entry. This way, mozilla will always recognize the file type and open it appropriately.

You can also edit/add entries by selecting Edit > Preferences > Navigator > Helper Applications.

The same process can be followed for any file that Mozilla does not recognize by default (i.e. - ASF, MPG, RAM, WMV, DOC, PDF, etc.) Obviously, plugins will assist in recognizing some file types.

I'm sure Konqueror has a similar process, but I only use it for file management.

I am using LM9.0.

The version of MPlayer that I had rebuilt from source was the MPlayer0.90rc1.

Of course, I'm using GCC3.2. The folks at MPlayer do not recommend using GCC2.96.

You might want to give PLF's version a try. He has it compiled for LM9.0 and he is at MPlayer0.90rc3.

I'll get it going as soon as I feel that my system is stable enough. Overall, I'm not really satisfied with LM9.0, but that's another post.