mdk-10.2 install fscked [solved]

yr2alex

I had this problem when I attempted to install 10.1. When I attempted it with 10.1 I downloaded iso imgs from at least four mirrors, went through nearly 30 cd's before admitting to exhaustive failure (surprizingly enough the md5sum checked out ok for every iso). The last time I sought assistance I was told it was a fluke; then it was suggested that I wait until 10.2. Well here it is 10.2 same issue only this time once bitten twice as shy. I have uploaded some screenies for your viewing displeasure. You will note that in this case the md5sum checkes out ok as well for each iso. The error in the second screenshot is the first of ten before I aborted the install which was doomed to inevitable failure anyway. Any suggestions before I completely give up on my once upon a time first choice Mandrake Linux, oh I beg your pardon Mandriva Linux?

:wall:

post-6086-1115146821_thumb.jpgpost-6086-1115146852_thumb.jpg

Edited by yr2alex

How far into the install before the error?

Is it the same file each time or different?

What are you system specs?

How many fingers am I holding up?

OK, forget the last question, just the first three, please! :lol:

Four thoughts:

1. Your burner is malfunctioning - hardware problem.

2. The s/w you are trying to burn the isos with is malfunctioning. Try a different app such as Nero.

3. You purchased a bad spindle of cdr's.

4. Try to burn a different iso then the ones you d/l, if it works fine then you can disregard 1-3. As a test for this try to burn DSL, is only 50MB http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/download.html

Yep. You checked your ISOs but not your discs. You also didn't eliminate hardware as a possible source of the problem. If you're overclocking, back down to stock speeds for the install. Try disabling DMA - boot, when you hit the first screen press F1 and type 'linux ide=nodma'. Finally, 10.2 has the ability to install from the .ISO files on the hard disk rather than CDs, so you could try that; grab the boot.iso file from an FTP mirror, write it to a CD, boot from it and tell it you want to do a hard disk install.

I am suspicious of the cdrom blanks you are using.

You would be amazed at how many el cheapo brands are incompatible with normal burners or burning programmes.

A friend of mine received a bonus pack of 10 blanks when she bought some product or other.

So far 3 failed burns and the rest won't even start. And that in Windows as well as Linux.

Personally, I only use TDK, Laser and Imation (and in that order of preference) for both cdrom and DVD discs.

Since using K3B since way back I have never made a coaster.

Cheers. John.

BVCs advice is spot on. Also the problem is NOT with Mandrake, it is your hardware or your discs.

Edited by AussieJohn

Gotta go along with these folks.

Dual DVD/CD burners are even more sensitive...

I always burn install Cd's on very slow.. (like 2x or 4x) while downloading the next because you only need one error to screw you're install. Its not like a song skipping..

Good quality media is always a good idea... even more so if you back up onto it!

Ok, I gather from you responses that I apparently did not include enough pertinent information. Nevertheless, I did manage to get your attention. By the way thank you for your timely responses and here is my rebuttal.

How far into the install before the error?

Is it the same file each time or different?

What are you system specs?

How many fingers am I holding up?

OK, forget the last question, just the first three, please! :lol:

Once agin for your viewing displeasure, I have included yet another screenie containing captures of the entire installation process from beginning to failure, however, just in case you are unable to view it I have provided the following steps

post-6086-1115219011_thumb.jpg

1. Language selection English of course

2. Accept EULA

3. Left the desired security level unchanged

4. Selected Use free space option in Drakx Partitioning wizard

5. The next screen states how many installation cd's were detected, next (incidentally this screen offers two paths both of which were explored. On the initial attempt I just selected next, on the second I checked the "copy whole CDs" box").

6. The next screen states that the installation media has been found and asks the following question: Do you have any supplementary installation media to configure? clicked ok with the default of none.

7. The package selection group window appears tried it with the default options on first attempt, on second minimal and I mean minimal.

8. I am greeted by a series of similar error messages of failed package installs (it matters not whether they are random or not they are not installing!). The error verbatim- There was error installing packages: libreadline5-5.0-2mdk.i586 Go on anyway? If choose yes it seems as if though every other package fails. Conversely if I choose no the Install craps.

As for system specs try everything that runs on x86 architecture that I have made an attempt to install thus far. However, that is neither here nor there this attempt was installed on a virtual machine (VMware 4.05 to be exact) using guess what? I'm glad you asked, the iso image files that I downloaded from my favorite mirror Mandriva-Linux-2005-Limited-Edition-Download-CD1, CD2, CD3.i586.iso

Well that kills the cdr theory, onward...

Four thoughts:

1. Your burner is malfunctioning - hardware problem.

2. The s/w you are trying to burn the isos with is malfunctioning. Try a different app such as Nero.

3. You purchased a bad spindle of cdr's.

4. Try to burn a different iso then the ones you d/l, if it works fine then you can disregard 1-3. As a test for this try to burn DSL, is only 50MB

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/download.html

Remember my original post? Once bitten twice as shy.... I reiterate this attempt was installed on a virtual machine (VMware 4.05 to be exact) using guess what? I'm glad you asked, the iso image files that I downloaded from my favorite mirror that kills the burner theory also. If it is all the same on my last failed attempt (mdk 10.1) I used soley Nero 6 ultra, But once again neither here nor there. Bad CD's huh? Highly unlikely. I have a spindle of 100 Maxell CD-Rs. Each draw is random because I have used them to successfully burn isos of other distros like Kubuntu, Simply Mepis, ProMepis, FreeBSD just to name a few basically there are no defects. I hate to tell you this, but once again neither here nor there.

Yep. You checked your ISOs but not your discs. You also didn't eliminate hardware as a possible source of the problem. If you're overclocking, back down to stock speeds for the install. Try disabling DMA - boot, when you hit the first screen press F1 and type 'linux ide=nodma'. Finally, 10.2 has the ability to install from the .ISO files on the hard disk rather than CDs, so you could try that; grab the boot.iso file from an FTP mirror, write it to a CD, boot from it and tell it you want to do a hard disk install.

I tried- F1 and type 'linux ide=nodma' in my 10.1 attempt so I wasn't in the least optimistic but what did I have to lose? I tried it again and recieved the following and familiar - There was error installing packages: libreadline5-5.0-2mdk.i586 Go on anyway?

burn really slow complete the install and install the missing pkgs at first boot

been there done that..

I am suspicious of the cdrom blanks you are using.

You would be amazed at how many el cheapo brands are incompatible with normal burners or burning programmes.

A friend of mine received a bonus pack of 10 blanks when she bought some product or other.

So far 3 failed burns and the rest won't even start.  And that in Windows as well as Linux.

Personally, I only use TDK, Laser and Imation (and in that order of preference) for both cdrom and DVD discs.

Since using K3B since way back I have never made a coaster.

Cheers.                John.

BVCs advice is spot on.    Also the problem is NOT with Mandrake, it is your hardware or your discs.

I'm using Maxell CD-Rs, I'm not arguing with you, I too am a Mandrake fan, I'm just conveying a problem that I have been experiencing with the iso's that I have downloaded not only from my favorite mirror but various other mirrors as well. In fact a screen shot of my 10.0 desktop resides on mandrakes website My mdk-10 screenie

Final works Mandrake is a good product even better if I can ever get it to install that being the case I may take you up on your cheers. =)

Gotta go along with these folks.

Dual DVD/CD burners are even more sensitive...

I always burn install Cd's on very slow..  (like 2x or 4x) while downloading the next because you only need one error to screw you're install.  Its not like a song skipping..

Good quality media is always a good idea... even more so if you back up onto it!

Again neither here nor there, thanks for the advise though, I'll try to keep it in mind.

OK, more questions!

How big is the "free space" and what else is on the drive? What did you use to previously partition the drive? What is the partition location in relation to the rest of the drive? Better yet, tell me the linux designation. In fact, could you post an fstab from a working distro?

OK, more questions!

How big is the "free space" and what else is on the drive? What did you use to previously partition the drive? What is the partition location in relation to the rest of the drive? Better yet, tell me the linux designation. In fact, could you post an fstab from a working distro?

Hopefully you and I are refering to the samething when I say that the free space on the VMware virtual machine was 8.0GB, nothing else was on the dirve (that is to say the virtual drive ) it was created for the sole purpose of testing the latest Mandrake iso before exhausting physical resources (CDs). The host machine is a windows XP machine so I don't beleive the remaining questions are relevent, however, I can provide you an fstab from a machine that I am running Simply Mepis 3.3 on, which by the is one that the mdk 10.1 insatlled failed on in an identical scenario.

top - 13:52:13 up 8 days, 6:42, 1 user, load average: 0.25, 0.16, 0.14

Tasks: 99 total, 1 running, 98 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

Cpu(s): 1.3% us, 0.7% sy, 0.0% ni, 98.0% id, 0.0% wa, 0.0% hi, 0.0% si

Mem: 506860k total, 500960k used, 5900k free, 82824k buffers

Swap: 1020116k total, 1028k used, 1019088k free, 168808k cached

/etc/fstab-

# Static entries below, do not use 'users' option in this area

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults,noatime 1 1

/dev/hda2 swap swap sw,pri=1 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devmode=0666 0 0

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0622 0 0

none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0

/dev/hda3 /home ext3 defaults,noatime 1 2

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 user,unhide,noauto,users,dev,ro 0 0

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

/etc/fstab: unmodified, readonly: line 1

IBM ThinkCentre 8183-wap

2.60 Ghz Intel Celeron 865g chipset

2800 512MB DDR

Seagate 37.3Gb hdd

48x optical drive

no floppy

ps2 mouse

If you have eliminated hardware, media and software as potential problems then the only issue left is with vmware.

Try out the latest version to see if it works from here.

In my opinion,a waste of time MDK 10.0, Fedora 3, and many more install on the version I'm running. Question for you, assuming that your installation was successful, where did you download your iso? I would much rather test that.

VMWare quite often has problems with new releases, from what I hear. The fact that 10.0 is OK doesn't necessarily mean 10.2 will be (entirely different kernels, for a start).

My instincs tell me otherwise. I beg your pardon my most recent episodes have made me quite a skeptic, however, you may be on to something worth looking into. Have you any other suggestions?

this newbie says: get VMware out of the loop completely.

Check and re-check how much unpartitioned space you have for the install.

Also when you're installing do not copy the CD's to disk - you will not have room and you will get a ton of errors.

hope that helps.

Kristi

this newbie says:  get VMware out of the loop completely. 

Check and re-check how much unpartitioned space you have for the install.

Also when you're installing do not copy the CD's to disk - you will not have room and you will get a ton of errors.

hope that helps.

Kristi

Ok so I wanted to put everyones theories including mine to the test. I went to the local Office Depot here in Sunny St. Pete Florida while there I bought 2 25 packs of Maxell CDRW (got a great deal they were on sale $8.99 off), next burned the iso images using K3B on my Fedora 3 box (which by the way burned at 4x for my CDRW 's by default) instead of using Nero on my XP box. My choice of using CDRWs was purely a strategic and precautionary measure. Finally installed MDK 10.2 on an IBM Thinkpad R40. If my recollection servers me right there were only two minor hick-ups as far as errors are concerned- but that it did not stop the install from completing successfully. Mandriva formerly Mandrake Linux has redeemed itself. Thank you, those of you who bothered to make any suggestions I appreciate your candor and diligence.

:banana:

:thanks: