Firefox [solved]

Slagathor

I hope this is in the right spot.......

Ok, installed 10.1. Then decided to use FireFox browser. Downloaded the tar installer, everything went fine, but I can only launch it from a console logged in a root. Any ideas what I have done wrong????

I also have 10.1 on the kids PC and installed the same way (almost positive I did it the same way :D )

and everything works great. Anyideas?????

Thanks for your time....

Once you've downloaded the tar installer where you want it (i.e. home/<a_folder>) highlight the installer, right click/Actions/Extract here. This will create another folder. Look inside for a shell script called firefox. Double click it. You'll then have Firefox up and running. I create a shortcut on my desktop pointing to the shell script. You can also do the same with the Menu Editor.

If that doesn't work, see if this thread has any suggestions (my posts say the same as above)

here

Once you've downloaded the tar installer where you want it (i.e. home/<a_folder>) highlight the installer, right click/Actions/Extract here.  This will create another folder.  Look inside for a shell script called firefox.  Double click it.  You'll then have Firefox up and running.  I create a shortcut on my desktop pointing to the shell script.  You can also do the same with the Menu Editor.

If that doesn't work, see if this thread has any suggestions (my posts say the same as above)

here

Welp, tryed your suggestion, and tryed what the other thread said to do, I am stumped.

The only way to fire it up is to su to root and fire it up that way. And that sux....heh

I will keep trying, plus I am able to look at kids PC once and see whats up on there.

Cause it works great over there. (daughter finally of it...heheee)

the only problem with that is (last i checked, or perhaps cuz of my mirrors) the firefox that got installed as a .9x version.

i, using root, copy the .tar.gz file to /usr/local folder. i type

tar -zxvf firefox-blahblah.tar.gz

and it unzips to a folder firefox-installer. i type

mv firefox-installer firefox

and then cd into the firefox directory. from here i run the firefox-installer file by typing

./firefox-installer

and let it go through the whole install rigamarole. Then cd to /usr/local/bin where i make the link

ln -s /usr/local/firefox/firefox firefox

then from command line i can just type firefox and get the application to run. from there you can add the icons or whatever else you need to add. people let me know if there are better ways of doing this from the .tar.gz file.

Guest ebiancarelli

Make sure you have the access permission set properly on /usr/local/firefox.

the only problem with that is (last i checked, or perhaps cuz of my mirrors) the firefox that got installed as a .9x version. 

i, using root, copy the .tar.gz file to /usr/local folder.  i type

tar -zxvf firefox-blahblah.tar.gz

and it unzips to a folder firefox-installer.  i type

mv firefox-installer firefox

and then cd into the firefox directory.  from here i run the firefox-installer file by typing

./firefox-installer

and let it go through the whole install rigamarole.  Then cd to /usr/local/bin where i make the link

ln -s /usr/local/firefox/firefox firefox

then from command line i can just type firefox and get the application to run.  from there you can add the icons or whatever else you need to add.  people let me know if there are better ways of doing this from the .tar.gz file.

Just tryed to install from Norlug and same thing happines......

But this time I cant fire it up from console.

This is just crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana::banana:

EDIT:

OOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is working now, no clue why.........heh

:thanks::thanks::thanks:

Edited by Slagathor

First time I tried it on 2005LE (built from the Cooker boot.iso) it quitted with an error message, and after that it could only be fired via "kdesu mozilla-firefox" and not as a normal user. For some odd reason the hidden mozilla directory on /home/user had wrong permissions. Deleting it (as root) and restarting firefox as a normal user resolved this strange error.

I did run firefox the very first time as root...

Anyway, it's Cooker, such things happen!

Edited by scarecrow