mdk 10.2 and kde 3.4

fahd

Really it is very weired, that mdk soft will release mandrake linux Limited Edition without kde 3.4. If this is the case, this means that kde 3.4x will be packed in the next versionn fall. Here agin we find it very difficult to guess why mandrakesoft does not make every thing as easy as mdklinux fans need and hope. Besides, there is the poor mcc utility. i feel mdkosft does not take care of her fan all over the world. If it insists to do such things neglecting our opinions, the folk will search another linux distro. Keep this in mind...Thank You.

Fahd

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

KDE 3.3.2  is more mature and tested.

But if I managed to put 3.4.0 on my 10.1 then you surely will manage it on 10.2

Possibly but that isn't Fahd's point.

The Ubuntu KDe 3.4 is very stable (and Ubuntu is Gnome based)

so I find it hard to see this as a reason.

I agree with Fahd though that a new edition right now should be aiming for KDE3.4 but perhaps this is why they call it limited eidition :D

Please consider that likely not all / not enough translations have been done. The same happened with 10.1, and it will happen again. Nothing new here.

Yep but then this accounts for Ubuntu knocking Mandrake from distrowatches #1...

As I pointed out KDE isn't even a real part of Ubuntu... but I have had 3.4 for a while now. If they have English, french and portuguese then they could at least roll something out ... it really is very nice... btw and possibly nice enough to be a must have criteria

As i said to kristi a while back I have seen worse reasons than colour for choosing a distro... (heck most of mine are what the heck....) but KDE 3.4 is very pretty and might draw me as a no brainer to install on my mum's PC etc.

solarian: y'know, it's odd, every time a new point release of *anything* comes out hundreds of people turn up and say "IT'S SO MUCH FASTER THAN THE LAST ONE!", then you turn around three years later, look back at the versions of everything we all used three years ago, and they run like something brown and sticky off a shovel compared to the stuff we run today. I have come to regard such comments, when not backed up with any actual *numbers*, with healthy scepticism. :)

(btw, our KDE 3.3 is compiled with -fvisibility , which gives a significant speed boost according to Laurent. Not that I use KDE, so I can't vouch for it myself).

I installed 3.4 last night on my laptop without a problem (thac's rpms) just to see if I would have any of the problems that everyone else seems to be having.

as for the speed of 3.4 --- I don't see any difference in speed compared to my gnome install

I have come to regard such comments, when not backed up with any actual *numbers*, with healthy scepticism.

You are welcome to be skeptic! :) Those are just my subjective impressions,

and my box runs so fine now, that I've decided to skip 10.2 (I've tried rc2_) and wait for the "2006" release.

Edited by solarian

Please consider that likely not all / not enough translations have been done. The same happened with 10.1, and it will happen again. Nothing new here.

Yep but then this accounts for Ubuntu knocking Mandrake from distrowatches #1...

As I pointed out KDE isn't even a real part of Ubuntu... but I have had 3.4 for a while now. If they have English, french and portuguese then they could at least roll something out ... it really is very nice... btw and possibly nice enough to be a must have criteria

As i said to kristi a while back I have seen worse reasons than colour for choosing a distro... (heck most of mine are what the heck....) but KDE 3.4 is very pretty and might draw me as a no brainer to install on my mum's PC etc.

So, what's it with the distrowatch ranking?

Mdk has been at the top for ages, ahead of FC, SUSE, etc. And those are still around. So what.

Mandrakesoft/Mandriva have an _obligation_ to members who use other localisation than English, French and Portugese. There will most likely be KDE3.4 for clubmembers though, judging from past actions... unsupported of course, but still.

Really, not having KDE3.4 is not the end of the world.

The only really cool thing is that Kghostview supposedly has the feature of allowing to select text and images, making it come closer to Acrobat Reader, ... but I read somewhere that that is getting backported to the KDE3.3 that MDV is releasing as limed05.

The same thing happened with me three times.

Fahd

Apparently, I upgraded to KDE 3.4 successful, but when start up, it already goes to root@localhost:# instead of $....

How can I set it to be normal start up with $??

found out that I typed startx from root@localhost username before start up KDE..

make sure you type cd.. to get yourself out from root@localhost username] # to username@localhost] $ then startx

hope if I am clear??

Edited by dmzeplin