How to upgrade to KDE 3.4?

niti

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

urpmi kdebase (and after that urpmi kdepim kdeedu kdemultimedia etcetc (have a look in the Mandrake control center to see all the packages)

Konsole said the following. Sorry, How shall I do now?

[root@localhost niti]# urpmi kdebase

Some package requested cannot be installed:

kdeartwork-3.4.0-7.mdk10.2.thac.i586 (due to missing libarts1-1.4.0-5.mdk10.2.thac.i586)

kdebase-3.4.0-14.mdk10.2.thac.i586 (due to missing libarts1-1.4.0-5.mdk10.2.thac.i586)

kdebase-common-3.4.0-14.mdk10.2.thac.i586 (due to missing libarts1-1.4.0-5.mdk10.2.thac.i586)

kdebase-konsole-3.4.0-14.mdk10.2.thac.i586 (due to missing libarts1-1.4.0-5.mdk10.2.thac.i586)

libarts1-1.4.0-5.mdk10.2.thac.i586 (due to unsatisfied libmasc.so.1)

libkdebase4-3.4.0-14.mdk10.2.thac.i586 (due to missing libarts1-1.4.0-5.mdk10.2.thac.i586)

Continue? (Y/n) n

Edited by niti

hey, that's neat!!!

but when I boot up it comes to this screen with a analog clock and a couple of boot choices, and a logon and a menu button and when I try to login, it clicks the monitor a few times and then clicks right back to the login screen.

This could be because when I first tried to install this, I did it with the 10.1 link, not having read down far enough in the thread to realize there was also a 10.2 link. Naturally there were lots of errors on the 10.1 versoin, and then I put the 10.2 version in and that went smoothly. Anyway, i found I could menu,console login from that screen - I log in and then type kde and 3.4 comes up very nicely.

Obviously I could re-install 10.2 rc2, but since I was cooker current that would take a bit, and expecting 10.2 final out imminately (wish I knew when - if it were more than a few days, I'd just redo 10.2rc2 and put it on correctly.....

Thanks for your work and investigation in this!!! - sure is nice!!!!!!!!

and any thoughts on how to fix the login loop bug...

Kristi

Sounds like a kdm problem. Try starting KDE from a terminal (when X hasn't started yet)  by typing: startkde (or if that doesn't work by: kde)

Thanks for the reply devries! I assumed I had hosed my system so I just now rebuilt it from 10.2rc2 and then made it cooker current, then did the stuff suggested above for 10.2 (went smoothly).

But the same result. It comes to a logon screen with possible choices down the left and an analog clock and logon and menu buttons. I try to log in with either user or root but it just clicks the screen a few times and then bounces me back to the same screen.

Fortunately the menu button offers me "console logon" which is just cli where I can log in and type kde and 3.4 comes up nice as you please.

After the rebuild, on the first boot, I checked inittab and it said :5555: instead of :5: so I reset that. inittab looks okay. Maybe a prob in rc.sysinit or something. I think probably best not to worry about it since I can get in to 3.4, just not straight in. And 10.2 final will be along - better to shoot probs with that!

One question: when you are then looking at MCC software install for other kde 3.4 stuff to install, what do you use for your search argument? "kde"

Also, I tried doing urpmi kdepim kdeedu kdemultimedia and it asked me a few questions about which sound thing I wanted, then it said it couldn't install something because something was missing "(y,N)" I hit enter and it stopped. Maybe just rerun those?

OH - I lost the thing in menu to start a new session (i.e. to start root while in user. ) Where is it???

tia

Kristi 3.4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by kristi

urpmi kdebase (and after that urpmi kdepim kdeedu kdemultimedia etcetc (have a look in the Mandrake control center to see all the packages)

Konsole said the following. Sorry, How shall I do now?

[root@localhost niti]# urpmi kdebase

Some package requested cannot be installed:

kdeartwork-3.4.0-7.mdk10.2.thac.i586 (due to missing libarts1-1.4.0-5.mdk10.2.thac.i586)

kdebase-3.4.0-14.mdk10.2.thac.i586 (due to missing libarts1-1.4.0-5.mdk10.2.thac.i586)

kdebase-common-3.4.0-14.mdk10.2.thac.i586 (due to missing libarts1-1.4.0-5.mdk10.2.thac.i586)

kdebase-konsole-3.4.0-14.mdk10.2.thac.i586 (due to missing libarts1-1.4.0-5.mdk10.2.thac.i586)

libarts1-1.4.0-5.mdk10.2.thac.i586 (due to unsatisfied libmasc.so.1)

libkdebase4-3.4.0-14.mdk10.2.thac.i586 (due to missing libarts1-1.4.0-5.mdk10.2.thac.i586)

Continue? (Y/n) n

once again check the required urpmi repositorys.

you must have 5 of them

1.mandrake main

2.mandrake contrib

3. plf 10.1 free

4. plf non-free

5. thacs rpm

if not there will be failed dependencys

and yes kde-3.4.0 requires xorg-6.8.2

This post has been edited by thac: Mar 19 2005, 01:12 AM

:just copied/paste from thacs post

Edited by aioshin