Why is MySQL needed for workstation?

hippocampe

I did a workstation class install when I upgraded to MDK 9. I didn't select any servers but when I got to the individual package selection, I saw that it included automatically MySQL (including the server) and a bunch of large sql stuff (postgresql and devel ...). Why do I need that for a workstation? I would be surprised if any program in the workstation group needed MySQL.... :roll:

I want to remove unneeded packages but which is really necessary?

In someways that depends on what you want to do with your workstation. However, Mandrake 9.0 insists that if you want to install the devel packages then you must install the sql packages as well. You may have a hard time uninstalling mysql and postgresql.

During my install, I tried several times to install the devel packages and was told that MySQL, Postgresql, and several packages where dependencies. I could not install the devel packages without the extra stuff. I am assuming that Mandrake will insist on the same rules when you try and uninstall mysql, etc.

From previous experience...

*SQL databases are used widely by many many many programs. Why? Simple database needs can be served by them. Remember, *SQL isn't a web developers tool. It's a database tool. For example... Databases of users, user info etc are in SQL for some programs.

I don't mind having them running. Just make sure you administer them right. I only allow localhost connections to them, making it a bit harder for people to get into them. They are also firewalled so I guess they do no harm when running. And there blueprint is little so there you go :)

• 2 weeks later...