Linux Desktops

fangbite

In the years I have work with linux (egads its 2 years now that I ahve been using linux) and I've come across several linux desktops. Right now KDE is my favorite because it has a multitude of great programs and is appealing to look at. I've tried gnome (can't stand it), ICEWM and XFCE (I think...). What I was wondering if there were any other desktops? I use ICEWM for my slow computer (although thinking of changing it to XFCE since it looks better) and KDE for my better computers since they can handle the extra load. Basically I want to try out a few new desktops to see if there is something I like more than KDE. Aside from plain x windows (which I couldn't figure out how to use), are there any other gems to look at?

I'd check out at least:

- XFCE; latest stable version. I love Xfce :luv:

Xfce is great because it also lets you use KDE and Gnome apps easily.

- WindowMaker -> this is such a true hidden gem and have used it for quite a while on Mandrake. It works very 'different' from all the rest.

I think KDE and Gnome are just an extra level and frankly incomprable with anything else. (/flames)

There's looking glass to play with on the heavy side and simple stuf like waimia and ratpoision on the light side but they all do the same in different ways... I honestly think you just gotta try em... but then you miss out on the details because they are often less easy to experimientally click and configure than KDE/Gnome...

I just installed KDE3.4 and it ROCKS big time .. I don't have Gnome though its just unfamiliar to me...

In regards to gnome:

1)my first appearance with it was with redhat7 I think it was. It just looked bland and ugly.

2)Lack of Konquerer like ftp program (can't figure out the others)

3)The new open a new window with every double click "feature"

4)gnome utilities to me seem clunky

5)don't care much for the general appearance of theme's i've tried.

Gnome is a good desktop to use (use it with beatrix at work jsut because I'm too lazy to switch it to something else) but at home I'm KDE all the way.

XFCE I've tried and actually enjoyed. I'm concidering switching to that since it takes a little less memory (well just for the laptop, thats slower than my great gaming machine). I'll take a look at those other ones listed:

rat poison

looking glass

window maker (isn't that ICEWM???)

fluxbox

waimia

twm

enlightenment

Thanks for the suggestions (and any more that may come).

In regards to gnome:

1)my first appearance with it was with redhat7 I think it was.  It just looked bland and ugly.

Gnome is highly flexible and you can make it look anyway you want it to really. Look around here for iphitus' and other's screenshots.
2)Lack of Konquerer like ftp program (can't figure out the others)
gftp couldn't be easier to use, I can help you with it if you want. Nautilus has ftp support now as well, but I'm not sure if it's in the stable tree yet.
3)The new open a new window with every double click "feature"
That is annoying, but only applies to the desktop icons (like home). Which, if you think about it kinda makes sense. I'm sure this could be changed with gconf though, but I don't know how (haven't tried).
4)gnome utilities to me seem clunky
Which ones? In general I have found them to be far more streamlined and less frilly then KDE's.
5)don't care much for the general appearance of theme's i've tried.
Some of our users have made awesome themes and there are heaps on http://art.gnome.org/ and http://www.gnome-look.org

Gnome is a good desktop to use (use it with beatrix at work jsut because I'm too lazy to switch it to something else) but at home I'm KDE all the way.
Linux is always about choice, if KDE works best for you, why move to something different? :cheesy:

IceWM and WindowMaker are not the same thing. I prefer Fluxbox myself. Don't really like XFCE. I went from KDE to IceWM to Fluxbox, where I've stayed. The mention of a desktop environment called looking glass is appealing. Is this the same fabled one?