USB 2.0 drive (256Mb) [solved]

wilco1973

I purchased a USB 2.0 USB drive (256Mb) and it all goes well it is detected as a removable drive. problem is that the owner is root. so i can write to it...

i tried to change that with chown name removable then i get a error that it cant be changed. so i searched and tried some things.

in /etc/fstab i changed the value umask value from 0022 to 000 but Mandrake changed it back & assed the same device again, result is that i see my removable drive twice i realy do not like that. another strage thing is that one device is set to my name and the other is set to root as owner.

when i remove the USB drive:

removable drive stays in my computer (this one is set to root)

removable2 drive disapears (this one is set to my name)

can someone help me so i see my drive only once and set it to my name??? i cant log in as root because i only can click my name when i login (i cant type root as a user or click on root to login)

this is my /etc/fstab file

/dev/sda2 / ext3 defaults 1 1

/dev/sda4 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0022,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0022,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto umask=0022,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850,noauto,exec,users 0 0

/dev/sdd1 /mnt/removable auto umask=0022,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,kudzu,codepage=850,noauto,exec,users 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c ntfs umask=0022,nls=iso8859-15,ro 0 0

/dev/sda1 /mnt/win_c2 ntfs umask=0022,nls=iso8859-15,ro 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

none /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0

/dev/sda3 swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/sdc1 /mnt/removable2 auto umask=0022,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,kudzu,codepage=850,noauto,exec,users 0 0

system

AMD 2500+

Nvidia 2 chipset

512Mb DDR ram (2x256Mb)

80 Gb SATA & a 80Gb ATA hdd

Radeon 9700 VGA

Mandrake 10.1 (with all updates installed)

i use Gnome

It seems that because the change is hand made, the autodetect/mount feature in Mandrake will create a new /mnt/removable2 whenever you unplug and plug the usb key disk again.

Try deleting the /mnt/removable line in your /etc/fstab. Reboot, then plug in your usb key disk again.

BTW, what is the security option do you choose for your Mandrake?

It seems that because the change is hand made, the autodetect/mount feature in Mandrake will create a new /mnt/removable2 whenever you unplug and plug the usb key disk again.

Try deleting the /mnt/removable line in your /etc/fstab. Reboot, then plug in your usb key disk again.

BTW, what is the security option do you choose for your Mandrake?

security level is high.

i try to delete the entry now

Just had a quick look at my etc/fstab file, where I have a 128MB USB2.0 pendrive set up. Here's the entry, in case it's of any help:

/dev/sda /mnt/usb vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,user 0 0

Just had a quick look at my etc/fstab file, where I have a 128MB USB2.0 pendrive set up. Here's the entry, in case it's of any help:

/dev/sda /mnt/usb vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,user 0 0

i removed the USB drive and removed the first device the a reboot. now it does not show my USB drive double, but root is still owner and i cant do shit with it (no write rights) i tried to open nautilus from SU in console and now i have the option to change owner and rights, but it will not change...

if i want to give write rights, i click on it and the box is marked but it immediatly unmarks :angry:

if i want to change file owner to my name it says: the owner could not be changed

if i want to change file group is says: the group could not be changed

WTF :help:

No, that's different.

You can't change the permissions on a mounted FAT device, because FAT doesn't have permissions, Linux basically 'makes them up' - i.e., it sets some up when it mounts the device, and you control what they are when it's mounted and at no other time. The reason only root can access the drive is because you have high security level set; having normal users able to access USB devices is something of a security problem so msec's high security level only gives root access. You should be able to configure this in MCC, or just drop the security level down to standard. Or just get used to using root to access it...

You can't change the permissions on a mounted FAT device, because FAT doesn't have permissions, Linux basically 'makes them up' - i.e., it sets some up when it mounts the device, and you control what they are when it's mounted and at no other time. The reason only root can access the drive is because you have high security level set; having normal users able to access USB devices is something of a security problem so msec's high security level only gives root access. You should be able to configure this in MCC, or just drop the security level down to standard. Or just get used to using root to access it...

problem solved :thanks:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Ector, and other who are interested,

I had this problem that a USB volume would mount as root:root, without permissions to write for any other user. Any attempts to impose permanent automatic wrinig permissions wouldn't work for me, and modifying /etc/fstab/ wouldn't help.

I recently upgraded from 10.1OE to Mandriva LE. Now the usb reader mounts as belonging to the user of mine, not the root, so the problem is solved!

So what is the solution?

Thanks.

Edited by uralmasha

Guest Ector

There is another solution. Since the line in fstab contains 'users' option every user can unmount and mount the device. So doing

umount /dev/removable 
mount /dev/removable

will actually remount the usb drive with the privileges of user giving above commands.

When you plug the device and its icon pops up on your desktop you can do the same by rightclicking on it and choosing unmount and then again choosing mount.