m$ blocks wine

arctic

I'm gonna be the stick in the mud:

What wine user cares about keeping their wine MS programs up-to-date? So, you get a virus on your wine drive...BFD. Having a whole bunch of Linux users griping about something so trivial is gonna give us a worse reputation as just unfair M$ haters than we already have.

Sorry. Just MHO.

What wine user cares about keeping their wine MS programs up-to-date? So, you get a virus on your wine drive...BFD. Having a whole bunch of Linux users griping about something so trivial is gonna give us a worse reputation as just unfair M$ haters than we already have.

Sorry. Just MHO.

I disagree, if what the ReactOS and WINE people in the article say is true and the WGA program is SPECIFICALLY checking for interoperability software and generating a failure, then Microsoft is violating the Sherman Act and needs to be held accountable.

On the other hand, if they've isolated the offending check, it shouldn't be too hard to write a patch for WINE that returns the proper values to the WGA software.

On the other, other hand, what could you need from the Microsoft website besides security updates that aren't necessary using WINE anyways?

Sorry. Just MHO.

hmm... have you thought about the possibility of e.g. webinterface designers who run a linux/unix system but need to check if everything they design firefox and opera runs well on e.g. IE, too? they need to keep their browser up to date, not due to security reasons but for compatibility reasons. those guys will do have a problem with the blocker. or think about a company, running a linux/unix/bsd server with wine for the office applications. everyone knows that msoffice is not bugfree and there are frequent patches or language downloads available. these persons also suffer from the blocker. so i do not see the whole matter as something that is rather irrelevant and should be accepted by anyone.

I am one such a designer (when I have nothing better to do).

I use VMware to run w2k in order to test my work.

Me too from time to time....

I also need Wine for my Camera extraction software to process RAW images.

Otherwise I have to save to jpeg and loose qualuity and mightest well use a shitty point and click not a digital SLR.

I also need Wine for my Camera extraction software to process RAW images. 

Otherwise I have to save to jpeg and loose qualuity and mightest well use a shitty point and click not a digital SLR.

Entirely off topic, but have you heard about dcraw, GoWator?

The official site: www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/ <-- seems to be down right now.

http://www.galacticslacker.com/Linux_RAW.shtml