My main concern with open source

pbpersson

Win95-Me had a partial implementation of the unix (BSD) TCP/IP stack...but now XP has a much more complete implementation, which includes IP spoofing and arbitrary packet creation.

So DDoS attacks from "zombie" XP machines are much more damaging than attacks from previous versions of Windows.

many utilities from UNIX are present in winXP, like netstat, ping and ping6, traceroute, nslookup, and many more. But most XP users hardly know they're there, much less what they are :unsure:

Security and stability is what sells anyone on linux...

...once an OS is developed that has those qualities and ease of use, linux will remain the back door, and I think we will see that in the near future. It may even be unix based, I don't know.

Mac OSX actually comes reasonably close to this and it marries OSS with closed technologies - something similar to OS X on x86 could be very popular!

Mac OSX actually comes reasonably close to this and it marries OSS with closed technologies - something similar to OS X on x86 could be very popular!

I understand the argument about OSX loosing its glamour running on X86 and the problems to support the plethora of hardware out there.

However, if it would be an interesting idea for Apple to develop their own Linux distro, besided OSX. That idea intrigues me...

Hasn't this all happened at least once in the past? What about the "kerbeous" protocol (no, I can't spell that). Didn't microsoft mis-use some open source protocol and then try to call it their own and then threaten everyone? :( .

ljones

I remember when that happened. M$ took the technology and the standards for the technology and then added a few features that were not standard. Big hoodoo! End result is that M$ backed down (this is from "OLD" memory so feel free to chop me off at the legs because I haven't done "RECENT" research :] )

I might add that, technically it's not feasible for microsoft to copy paste code from OSS apps. OSS apps are written with different GUI toolkits and different libraries, all with different syntax. To 'copy paste' they'd have to write it again.

Probably the only thing they could really do is look to see how it works, then reimplement it their way.

It wouldnt surprise me if they did copy stuff, they are masters of it. Go back through history and you will be very hard pressed to find something unique and innovating microsoft has made, that hasnt been copied or 'inspired' by something existing.

iphitus

Why be concerned about MS copying good stuff from Linux?

As argued, it won't easily happen, they know it would make them look bad. Also, they are too arrogant, they really do believe their own FUD.

Lastly, as long as Linux and Free Software continue to improve, and continue to gain acceptance, who cares?

In time, MS and lots of closed source software will become irrelevant.

I believe that at some point (when Linux gets 20+% of the market) MS will make the 'near perfect WINE' - one that is just a bit less stable than regular windows, and sell (nee, license it!) for the same price as windows.

And then they will make sure MSOffice will only run on native windows or that program/layer (not on WINE, CrossoverOffice or whatever).

As for commercial companies porting the killer GPL apps for Linux onto windows - that's good.

Why commercial companies should do this is unclear to me - it might be OSS developers or whoever.

The more the regular user gets to see/use Free Software (OOo, GIMP, FF, etc) on windows, the easier she/he'll be able to make the switch to Linux, and at least for that part she/he'll be free/independent. That is a good thing.