Gratitude

Guest Sophgoat

Guest Sophgoat

Not sure where this belongs . . .

I use these boards constantly and never post because a ) all I have to offer are questions and b ) so far those questions are always answered somewhere in previous posts. For example, I woke up at about 2 a.m. this morning and decided to start screwing around with 10.1 on my laptop. Well, as almost always happens when I do that, something goes awry - in this case my monitor settings. Couldn't use a GUI, couldn't figure out how to get to a console or MCC. But I spent a couple hours here, read about 100 posts and eventually found a solution. I also learned a bit more about linux generally and Mandrake specifically.

I am so green with this, and yet I am able to slowly muddle my way along thanks to these boards. In the past year I've gone from solely XP, to dual-booting with Mandrake (but never using Mandrake for anything serious), to doing all my work and play on Mandrake and now starting to explore the command line. I could not do any of this without the community on these boards.

So I just wanted to offer a general and very sincere thank you.

Sean :thanks:

Welcome!

And remember: by asking questions you are adding to the wealth of knowledge on the board. It doesn't matter if you can't answer other people's questions - that is not necessary. Most of our posts begin with a question - so the people asking are really the most important. ;)

Welcome aboard the board sophgoat

I did my first linux install about 10 months ago - and at times its been pretty hairy. I too muddle along, sometimes trying somthing a little more adventurous - sometimes things work out, othertimes not :P

But its these boards, and MUB in particular that has got me along - and have given me the confidence to stick with it - now, there is no sign of M$winbloze at home, and at work I only have to rarely use it - linux through and through.

Yup I ask a number of questions and thanks to these guys and gals I get on mostly just fine. I'm no guru - far far far from it - but I try to help back when and where I can - I post up my solutions and suggestions, and highlight other posts/sites/ etc that I've come across, that might be useful to hopefully help others out with their own issues. But I guess this is how it starts, then wham!, one day I'll be a bit more of a tecchy head and help out more - well, thats the theory :thumbs:

Great board is MUB - lots of people helping out lots of people - and its friendly here too.

MUB rox :drum:

Welcome!

And remember: by asking questions you are adding to the wealth of knowledge on the board. It doesn't matter if you can't answer other people's questions - that is not necessary. Most of our posts begin with a question - so the people asking are really the most important. ;)

aye! i began with a question, and now, nearly 2 years later, im answering the questions, as well as writing programs for linux, hacking up my system, compiling kernels, and pretty much mutilating my system in every way possible :D

still, its worth it, 1 minute from lilo to desktop isnt too bad, especially when i know i can shorten it....

aye! i began with a question, and now, nearly 2 years later, im answering the questions, as well as writing programs for linux, hacking up my system, compiling kernels, and pretty much mutilating my system in every way possible :D

still, its worth it, 1 minute from lilo to desktop isnt too bad, especially when i know i can shorten it....

ack! are you kidding? you started with a lot....I mean a lot of questions :P

...BUT!

look at ya now :headbang:

u r welcome Sophgoat and :thanks:

yes, i can only add a "thank you". i also started as a complete idiot with linux some years ago. i learned a lot on this board and now.... well... i am a department-manager for a linux-distribution. somehting i thought i will/can never be. sometimes things develop faster than you imagine. :D

I think Sophgoat has a lot to offer, actually. He said he's been using Linux for a year and found all the answers to his questions on this board without ever posting a question.

He needs to write a tutorial:

How To Not Ask The Same Damn Question That's Been Answered 15 Times Already....Once, One Topic Below The New Topic You Just Posted

Notice the born-on date to the left. A couple of months ago I thought that linux was for weird hippie-types and freak shows. Now, I'm one of them. ;)

After much reading and experimenting, I can answer one or two of the questions posted on this board and am more than happy to. It makes me feel like I'm contributing back to the community and not just leeching like under windows.

So keep on truckin and good luck :)

Edited by nchancock

Hey, welcome dude. 

Go ahead ... we don't have dumb questions here ....

Even if you just want something explaining go ahead and post....

:banana:

I'm really glad I found Mandrake and this board. Back in 2000 I tried RedHat and was scared away from Linux for three years. The OS was very unfriendly and I needed help understanding the help. I didn't have anyplace where I could ask dumb questions. So I gave up until I found and loaded Mandrake 9.1 in 2003. :D

Phil