scanner making mechanical noise under Man 10.1

4ebees

Hi there,

I have a Diamond View Scanner that is a clone of an Acer Flatbed Scanner 13.

It worked fine under 10.0 (I added it manually, putting in the firmware driver).

I've just installed 10.1 and it saw the scanner automatically - as a Benq (previously Acer 640U). I didn't install it under MCC last time (as I was VERY new to Linux and Mandrake and didn't know I could) :woops:

Now, after installing 10.1, it automatically found the scanner. When I conducted a preview scan of a picture (using both Kooka and Xsane) it seemed to work fine, then at the end of the scan, I got this loud, mechanical, clicking noise (like a ratchet working overtime). I know this is NOT GOOD. I'm perplexed because I didn't have this problem before!!

So, I went back to MCC, added the same firmware driver that I had used manually installed in Man 10.1 and...

no difference!

Anyone with any ideas? Should I delete the scanner - how do I do that? - and reload/reconfigure it manually?

This is very disconcerting and disappointing.

Thanks for any assistance/redirection provided.

Regards.

Edited by 4ebees

STOP>PULL THE PLUG

Yes, probably driver related. This is what SANE has to say about my Mustek scanner (which I've yet to get working)

IF YOU HEAR LOUD CLICKING NOISES, IMMEDIATELY UNPLUG THE SCANNER

! (This holds for any type of scanner).

here

You'll need to dig out your's from the site for specifics relevant to your scanner model.

Good luck with it.

Benq is the new name of acer (or acer sold their scanner business to benq I don't know). Acoording to Sane ( http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-BENQ ) you need the snapscan driver. Supoort is good.

Thanks for that. I'll have a look at it and post a reply.

Do I need to remove the existing module/driver, or will this write over the top?

I guess disabling hotplugging would probably help too??

STOP>PULL THE PLUG

Yes, probably driver related.  This is what SANE has to say about my Mustek  scanner (which I've yet to get working)

IF YOU HEAR LOUD CLICKING NOISES, IMMEDIATELY UNPLUG THE SCANNER

!  (This holds for any type of scanner).

here

You'll need to dig out your's from the site for specifics relevant to your scanner model.

Good luck with it.

Thanks for the advice. I had read this when I was installing the same scanner in Mand 10.0, but it's always good to be reminded :)

Good luck with getting your's going.

Benq is the new name of acer (or acer sold their scanner business to benq I don't know). Acoording to Sane ( http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-BENQ ) you need the snapscan driver. Supoort is good.

Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa. I shouldn't write anything late at night.

I meant to say that my scanner is a DV648U - not the 640 clone.

AND

If I plug this back into my 10.0 machine, it works perfectly.... hmmmm. The snapscan site lists a driver for the version of this scanner that has a translucency option (for scanning negatives) - my scanner doesn't.

The machine seems to think that there is further to go - as if it thinks the scanning area is slightly bigger that it is - this with the firmware that I had loaded in 10.0 that works so well... damn.

The thing is, it's scanning well apart from this!

Edited by 4ebees

I've had a look at the SANE site. I have a feeling that Mandrake 10.1 is trying load a module for the scanner that is 'almost right' but not quite.

I have disabled Hotplugging, but I think the problem still exists that it is loading a module that is 'almost, but not quite...'

SANE states:

http://snapscan.sourceforge.net/

Libusb

If you use libusb, make sure you don't have the scanner module loaded ("rmmod scanner"). Your distribution may have installed a hotplug manager that loads the module again once the scanner is detected. In this case you should find the configuration file for the hotplug manager and change it accordingly.

Also make sure that you have read/write access to the files in /proc/bus/usb/001/*. The scanner will be autodetected, be sure to remove any device filename entry from snapscan.conf.

I'm not sure where the hotlug config manager is (other than disabling it through MCC). Am I right in thinking that there is another 'self-loading' element here?

When I initially installed 10.1, it read the scanner immediately; but it was not exactly the right scanner model and I've had this problem with it trying to 'over-run' the scan area since - despite uploading the firmware for the scanner that works perfectly in 10.0.

Any assistance most gratefully appreciated.

You can check if the module is loaded by typing, as root, in a console: lsmod | grep scanner. Removing is modprobe -r scanner.

In /etc/hotplug is a file called blacklist. Try adding scanner to that list.

Good luck.

Thanks again.

lsmod | grep scanner

gives no response.

I tried modprobe -r scanner (anyway)

I went to the blaclist and added

scanner

I've made sure that it's the same firmware I've added under Man 10.0 (and it is).

I've even gone so far as to creat a new directory for it

/usr/local/lib/sane/firmware/ and then cp'd the firmware file

u96v121.bin

It is exactly the same as it is on my Man 10.0 machine... and still I get the damn thing trying to overrun the scanning area. It still seems to think the area is larger than it is.

I've even tried the firmware for the other forms scanners listed on the original manufacturers disc - no go either.

When I plug the scanner into the Man 10.0 box, it's fine.

Bugger me! (translation for the non-Australian residents: "Oh no, I'm having some trouble and am feeling somewhat disconcerted :))

Should I just reload Man 10.1 and avoid hotpluggin and the box trying to configure the scanner itself?

I've loaded Man 10.1 on a spare HDD as I didn't want to load it on my main machine until I'd made sure everything worked - am I glad I did this).

(Short expression of frustration following: "what the ... I would have thought that .1 would have managed this better than .0")

Devries, thanks for your help so far. This was supposed to be my birthday present to myself! 28/1/05 - new O/S. Mandrake 10.1... :(

I hope you have some more idea :help:

Just that it is probably a bug. Mandrake 10.2 beta is out. Perhaps you should give that a try?

Thanks for your efforts, Devries.

I'm going to see if my local LUG can help, otherwise, I'll stick with .0 until 10.2 Official is released. Whilst I'm quite keen on Linux being my major OS - and it is slowly taking over - I don't really want to spend a lot of time playing de-bugging with a beta version (don't have the skills or time) and so will await the Official release.

10.0 works very well, but I'd like to have a Wacom tablet working on it (unless I can get my Aiptek clone going), which is the main reason I thought I'd upgrade to 10.1.

Poor, poor, pitiful me :)

:wall:

PS Would you know where I may be able to post it as a possible bug?

I see that you are using 10.0.

I've just read a few other posts about 10.1. Is it true that 10.0 is somewhat less buggy?

I haven't had any major problem since getting my speedtouch to work, but I don't really try to do anything clever. Also I don't want to spend all my time tinkering, so I tend to install every second release only. :)

I see that you are using 10.0.

I've just read a few other posts about 10.1. Is it true that 10.0 is somewhat less buggy?

I haven't had any major problem since getting my speedtouch to work, but I don't really try to do anything clever. Also I don't want to spend all my time tinkering, so I tend to install every second release only. :)

Ta for that. I guess I'm the same. I prefer to use my time 'doing something with the machine' rather than engaging in prayers with the Linux deux ex machina :)

I think I'll take the advice to leave well enough alone and await 10.2 - unless I can get my scanner going in 10.1 - I hate to replace serviceable hardware (and my wife, kids and mortgage wouldn't let me anyway LOL).

Edited by 4ebees