Mandrake Repositories?

Guest Hikaru79

Guest Hikaru79

Hi, everyone =) I come from a heavy Debian background (1+ years) but I decided to give Mandrake a try, see what all the fuss is about ;) I've installed it, everything works great, but I want to start installing packages and everything. I know how to use urpmi to install already-downloaded .rpm's but does Mandrake have the equivalent of the Debian repositories? You know, good ol' "apt-get install kde" type of thing.

For example, when I installed Mandrake, I did not realize you needed a 4th CD to install KDE3.3, so now I'm on 3.2. I'd like to upgrade, but I'm wondering what the best way to do this is. In Debian, I'd go to Synaptic and tell it to upgrade KDE. Can this be done on Mandrake? Should I get the .rpm of 3.3 and install it OVER the current 3.2 KDE? Will the rpm realize that I already have 3.2 and not end up with two copies of KDE on my system? Should I uninstall my current KDE and then install? Or is there, after all, a simple manner of upgrading it through a centralized repository?

=) Thanks!

Guest Hikaru79

Ah, got it :) Thanks guys.

Quick question-- how do you *uninstall* a package with urpmi? I ran

urpmi

in a console, and it gave a bunch of parameters, but none relating to uninstallation of packages. Any ideas?

:) Thanks!