Speedtouch 530 won't work

Guest sloeber

Guest sloeber

:help: I've got a problem installing my modem: it 's a Thomson Speedtouch 530 and its on my USB

i'm kind of a newby , but i manage pretty well

but this time, i"m pretty stuck as well .

Linux finds the driver on my windoos partition and he installs the modem

but he can't connect to the internet.

Is there a site were i can find a good driver or what am i supposed to do????

HELP ME PLEASE

( When i'm surfing with that other big OS , it keeps on crashing !!!! :angry::angry:

, so i really need to have a connection with Mandrake)

Edited by sloeber

Since we know that you have an Alcatel 530, we know that it has a LAN connection as well as the USB. As in other posts, the the only other thing we need to know is whether your Mainboard has on board LAN. If it does then I and others recommend that you use the LAN connection instead.

It is quicker and amazingly simple to setup.

No more than 10 minutes and you will be on the web with Mandrake.

Open up Mandrake Control Centre (MCC).

Go to Network and Internet.

In New Connection select LAN connection and NOT any of the others. Click NEXT

In Net Device select ETH0 then click next.

Select Automatic IP(BOOT/DHCP) and do not select Manual Configuration.

Click Next.

Put a tick (USA=check) in Assign host name from DHCP address.

Put a tick in Start at boot. Click Next

In Host name (optional) type in your computer name if you want or have one. Click Next.

Leave this next panel blank and click Next.

Select Yes then click Next.

Hope this helps. It all works for me and is really quite simple especially when compare to trying the USB method.

This should allow you to get into Mandrake normally.

When in there then open MCC and go to Network & Internet and select Remove a connection if you see anything besides eth0 then leave eth0 alone but delete the others.

Now go to Security in MCC then into Firewall. And make sure there is a tick in at least FTP server and also POP and IMAP Server. Click on OK.

In the NET Device part select eth0 from the drop down menu. (not ppp or ippp)

then click OK.

I think if you follow this you should be OK.

A word of note. If you have Windows on your machine then do the setup using USB as per Bigponds' CDROM instructions first. This is necessary to activate your ADSL account for the first time.

When you have done that then, reboot into Mandrake after reconnecting the Lan cable connection and check the settings as discussed earlier.

The following applys only in Australia:-

When you have your ADSL up and running and you log into Bigpond, have a look at the Massive free and up to date LINUX software and all sorts that are there and you can download for free and does not count towards your download limits.

Hope all this helps. John.

Guest sloeber

:wall:

Euhm

I'm sorry aussieJohn

but , it still won't work

I tried it but under net device there is no such thing as ETH0

the only thing can do is to chose the driver my self

and i can't find the right one

I'm gonna try to do it your way Steve !

Hello sloeber.

Two Questions.

1. What country are you in.

2. What is your Mainboard brand and type.

If you can tell that I may be able to help you further.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Guest sloeber

Hi again Jon

Answers to your questions:

1) I'm from Belgium ( provider is Belgacom )

2) I wouldn't have a clue : I know this guy and he made the thing for me

but maybe this can help:

- Intel pentium 4 => 2.0 GHz

- 2560RAM

- Hard disk 80Gb

- nvidia Gforce 4 Ti 4200

- i gues i have a LAN port but , euhm, does the have one?

It's not the data you wanted but i hope you can help me out !

I 'll try to find it out , i'll tell you when i did

ps : When i updated tried to install it the first time he searched for the driver on my Windows partition but it wasn't installed yet .

Couldn't i reinstall Mandrake and reinstall my modem

Because he doesn't check for a driver on the windows partition anymore when he already did it.

Edited by sloeber

If it does then I and others recommend that you use the LAN connection instead.

What the man said.... :D

This is by far the easiest way :D

Yes, but maybe he doesn't know what it is... the wire looks like the square plastic jacket... RJ45 connector or something I think it is called that is plugged in into most telephones today. There should be a connector both in your PC and your modem.

It looks something like the picture below:

Guest sloeber

I know what a LAN port is !

but i don't have one

I know! it's pretty strange.

Oh and by the way : i don't have any documentation cause somebody made the computer for me.

ps : The provider is called Belgacom but the on-line service is called Skynet

Hello sloeber.

I think you may have to drop the side panel off your computer so you can actually read its brand Name and Model on the MainBoard.

Shut down and switch OFF. Disconnect the Main Power Lead.

Remove the side cover.

There should be no need to touch or move anything so you cannot do harm to anything.

The Name and Model is usually printed about just below centre of the board.

When you get that info then just return everything to normal and post back to us.

Cheers. John.

Hello sloeber.

I think you may have to drop the side panel off your computer so you can actually read its brand Name and Model on the MainBoard.

Shut down and switch OFF.  Disconnect the Main Power Lead.

Remove the side cover.

There should be no need to touch or move anything so you cannot do harm to anything.

The Name and Model is usually printed about just below centre of the board.

When you get that info then just return everything to normal  and post back to us.

Cheers.            John.

Before you do that (if it makes you nervous)

open a terminal/console/CLI thing and su (then root password)

then

lspci -v -v

then highlight and use the middle mouse button to paste it into your browser and we will probably be able to determine your hardware... if not you will need to slip the case off... its not really that traumatic of an experience. :D

It will give an idea, but for example my MainBoard is an ASUS A7N8X-E-Deluxe, but running this test only shows it as an ASUS A7N8X.

There are considerable physical differences between the two models in this case. The kind of differences we are looking for in our mans system could be a similar issue.

But certainly give Gowaters idea a try first if you are a little hesitant, however I don't think you need to be.

Cheers. John.

It will give an idea, but for example my MainBoard is an ASUS A7N8X-E-Deluxe, but running this test only shows it as an ASUS A7N8X.

There are considerable physical differences between the two models in this case.  The kind of differences we are looking for in our mans system could be a similar issue.

But certainly give Gowaters idea a try first if you are a little hesitant, however I don't think you need to be.

Cheers.                                    John.

I couldn't agree more... I think everyone should see what's inside and how simple it all really is...

I had a friend with a fsck'd bios and usb keyb yesterday... they called up with the prob that the monitor wasn't coming on and they keyb didn't work... since the default is no usb keyb support.

I managed to talk em through forcing a bios reset and geting into bios which then starts the usb keyb ??? by taking out the disk ...and forcing it into setup... (weird)

and this is with a little shuttle and someone who doesn't own a screwdriver....

She sorted it out and next time im sure she can do this herself (although buying a ps/2 keyb would be a better fix :D)

I think the reason you don't get the mobo model though John is because this is merely scnning the pci bus (and AGP) so you get this from the bridges but its not actuially looking at the bios? it escapes me right now but I think another util we do that.. just like /proc/cpuinfo holds the real CPU model and stuff.

Now if only I could remember it!