Gnome configuration.

photoworks

I was wondering if gnome was more limited than kde concerning the configuration.

I did not find any way to configure gnome to set several desktop like in kde or how to hide the icons on the desktop.

Any ideas ?

Can you as weel configure kde to change the way it looks, like changing the way the clock looks in the task bar.

I figured i had to lauch themes, but when i try to do it, it tells me that i cannot do it because gconf is not properly configured.

yupp, you can do most stuff with gconf.

one big advantage in gnome: you can have multiple desktops and the taskbar is empty (=starts at zero entries) on each dektop. in kde, the apps of desk 1 show up in desk two, three, four,... thus making it harder to navigate the different desktops and apps imho.

and as bvc said: a clock is a clock. :D

arctic: that also applies to GNOME when you have multiple displays, usefully. Any apps I have running on my second display don't show up in the taskbar on my first.

:huh: did i miss something? neither on ubuntu, nor on fedora, nor on slackware i have my apps of taskbar 1/desktop 1 showing up in taskbar 2/desktop 2 in gnome. they are completely seperated, unless i make them sticky...

:huh: did i miss something? neither on ubuntu, nor on fedora, nor on slackware i have my apps of taskbar 1/desktop 1 showing up in taskbar 2/desktop 2 in gnome.  they are completely seperated, unless i make them sticky...

ok, so in gnome there are no graphic to change the way gnome looks.

go to system-configure-gnome-themes and you can change anything

p.s.

bvc makes some great theme stuff for Gnome. check out www.gnome-look.org

I Tried to go there but when i launch theme i get an error message telling me that

i cannot do it because gconf is not properly configured or that metalife is missing. i tried to install metalife but it is still the same problem.

I have 2 other question.

the first one is how do you set a diferent wallpaper for each workspace (desktop) in Gnome.

The second one is how do you install theme : I downloaded some theme from the website you told me (there are some awsome theme) but some of them i cannot install. (for example Rpanther theme.

I have 2 other question.

the first one is how do you set a diferent wallpaper for each workspace (desktop) in Gnome.

The second one is how do you install theme : I downloaded some theme from the website you told me (there are some awsome theme) but some of them i cannot install. (for example Rpanther theme.

open the theme dialog under gnome-preferences in your menu. now simply drag & drop the file into the theme window. it will get installed automatically. if that does not work for any reason, uncompress the file, open nautilus, enable hidden-file view and move the untar'd file into your /.themes folder. that should do it.

for the wallpaper:

"gnome desktop change" is a possibility... http://gnomefiles.org/app.php?soft_id=510

"wallpapoz" is another alternative...

http://gnomefiles.org/app.php?soft_id=104

and "my background properties"

http://gnomefiles.org/app.php?soft_id=270

Edited by arctic

arctic: that also applies to GNOME when you have multiple displays, usefully. Any apps I have running on my second display don't show up in the taskbar on my first.

:huh: did i miss something? neither on ubuntu, nor on fedora, nor on slackware i have my apps of taskbar 1/desktop 1 showing up in taskbar 2/desktop 2 in gnome. they are completely seperated, unless i make them sticky...

rt-click and look at the preferences of the Window List applet.