Build new PC or..?

Mandriva-user

From today in the future 5 years from now to get new computer with linux build in or build your own ?

Regard Mandrake-user :? :?: :roll:

I always build my computer. I know what is really in it, without voiding any warranty, which is what happens when you open a name brand box!

Guest BoyEnjinir

I'm w/ Ixthusdan. I've build all but one of my computers. Not building was a big mistake. If you are using Linux, especially -- build your own. It's cheaper, better, and you know what's inside. 5 years is a long time. Building your own is ALMOST the only way to assure it will last (w/ misc replaced components) for 5 years in a useable incarnation.

Well well boys that was one thing in my head that my first Pc,that I`m using right now I build so,if I don`t know I ask first for any hardware is compatible with linux and I ask your guys first before I go out and spend any money.

And again tnx guys for helped me in the past.

But in future the computer will be fare more smaller then you thing and fare,fare more better then today.

one I like to know how linux look like? Mmmmm :?:

cheers Mandrake-user

From; http://www.rasterman.com/pages/news.html

Also people just didn't get my point. I'm saying the future Isn't a desktop at all - the encumbent (windows) on the desktop will stay, but the future isn't a desktop computer at all - it isn't a nasty mess of a desktop with taskbar and a screen and a mouse and keyboard. I'm not the first to say this by any means - and I won't be the last. Devices (such as pda's and the likes) now have the grunt that desktops had years ago. They are what I see as the future. Devices you use for a limited set of things that fit in your pocket, have no wires and always work. Have a look at the i-mode and ketai phenomenon in Japan. Most people just want to do things - they don't care how - be it via windows or linux. Whichever way works. The techies like us care how - but what I'm saying is we are the minority. The mass market where linux can be on everyone's desk is not via the PC desktop - you want linux everywhere? Put it on their phones, in their cars, on their trains, on their watches. That's how you will get that.
:lol:

Guest BoyEnjinir

That's slowly happening. Linux is in TiVO, for example.

PDA's will be tough. Although Zaurus is awesome, and I am considering getting one when the new 400 Mhz version comes out... I doubt it will catch on in a big way. Windows will end up dominating this market since they have the clout to do so. Palm will continually lose marketshare until it is the Apple of PDA's. I wish it weren't so, because between Palm OS and WinCE I prefer PalmOS. Zaurus is better than either for OS but the apps aren't very good. Okay by me since I'd immediately download software that was better and install it. Problem for people who just want it to work and look good out of the box.

If anyone thinks that desktop/laptops will dissappear I would disagree (for the next 10-20 years, anyway). The reason is simple: Software will continue to advance. The most recent PDA's have the processing power desktops had 5 years ago. But software, expectation, etc has advanced since then, so the apps that were acceptable then are not now. It's a matter of software advancement, basically. Doing more.

But I agree that eventually we will get to a point that a PDA or similar device will be sufficient for the average users office activities. You'll get a desktop or laptop size device (maybe there won't be much of a difference) for heavy duty stuff -- FEA, Games, high level CAD, etc.

Last thing I think: The PDA will basically become a PART of a larger computer. That way, you always have your essentials and don't have to worry so much about synching.

Where is Linux in all this? Probably behind the times unless the hardware vendors grab onto Linux soon. Dissapointing. I really wish this were not the case....

My view, anyone else have any thoughts on it? Think of this: how long will it take for Linux to support the dockable tablet PC's? Hopefully not long, but I worry. Even X-Box hasn't really been completeley hacked yet... (or has it? Last I checked it had not been)

Ciao