No ping - no internet [SOLVED]

Postman

Hi there everyone! Here's a total newbie to linux with a total experience of it all of about 24 hours which of the last 23 has been to get my newly installed Mandrake 10 to connect to my router. Here are the facts

I have cabelconnection to my router (D-Link DI-614+ rev B) and to the router I've connected one box with XP which is working fine.

I have installed Mandrake 10.0 on another box which I've managed to get up and running. I've also managed to get the D-Link DWL-520+ to install thanks to Craig's Acx100 Guide. I manage to ping my router from Mandrake locally and I manage to ping Mandrake from my router locally however when I try to ping a www-address I just get a ping: unknown host *********** message....

What am I doing wrong? What can I do to get it right?

Edited by Postman

It sounds like your missing DNS info - can you paste the output of /etc/resolv.conf here and we'll take a look!

It says

nameserver 192.168.1.1

but that's because I've echoed that in there, I've also tried 192.168.0.1 and I've tried 195.67.199.3 and 195.67.199.4 which are my ISP's nameservers...

In start_net I've set 1 on using DHCP but when I run the ./start_net command I get an error reading wlan0 failed to associate, can't use DHCP for IP address

But I've also set the script to use 192.168.0.198 as IP-adress and when I ping the router it works...as well as when I let the router ping the other way...

I was also reading this and I took a look inside my ifcfg-wlan0 file which reads...

DEVICE=wlan0

BOOTPROTO=dhcp

ONBOOT=yes

could it be something wrong in that scriptfile?

Edited by Postman

If I'm reading this correctly, you're using wireless networking and get assigned an address by dhcp - but the dhcp isn't working?

I'm getting a little confused as in your original post you mentioned a "cable connection" - by this do you mean you're also using a wired network, or that you have cable internet?

You're getting confused? How do you think I'm doing then? ;-)

This is the deal...

I have a cable Internet connection which i connected to my D-Link DI-614+ router which can operate both with wires and wireless. It is set to obtain IP-adress dynamicly from my ISP and use 195.67.199.3 and 195.67.199.4 as primary and secondary DNS adresses and the MTU is set to 1500. It is also set to have an IP-adress of 192.168.0.1 within the LAN and the DNS relay is active. Futher more is the DHCP enabled and set to distribute addresses between 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199 and the lease time is set to 1 week. The setting for the AP is that it is enabled and using SSID - default, channel - 6 WEP is set to open system but disabled ...

I have connected with wire one puter running ********* (it should say WinXP there but I don't dare take those words in my mouth in here) with wire connection to the router. This connection is working great...

I have a old IBM Aptiva with a D-Link 520+ wireless card mounted on which I've installed Mandrake 10 on and with the help of this managed to get working to the point of that I can ping between the Linuxbox and the router and the other way around but when I can't ping any adresses on the Internet (I use www.sunet.se as reference but I've tried my ISP's adress aswell as other wellknown adresses...)...

And there we are now....*phew*

If I do iwconfig I get this

lo no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11b+ ESSID: off/any Nickname: "acx100 v0.2.0pre8"
        Mode: Managed Channel: 6 Access Point: 00:0D:88:A3:BE:C1
        Bit Rate: 1Mb/s Tx-Power: 18 dBm Sensitivity=175/255
        Retry min limit: 7 RTS thr:off
        Encryption key: off
        Power Management: off
        Link Quality:74/100 Signal level:64/100 Noise level:0/100
        Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
        Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

And if I do ifconfig wlan0 I get this

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0D:88:AA:F6:D4
         inet addr:192.168.0.198 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
         UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric: 1
         RX packets:45102 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
         TX packets:30 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
         collisions: 0 txquelen:1000
         RX bytes:14127106 (13.4 Mb) TX bytes:2060 (2.0 Kb)
         Interrupt: 10 Base address:0x8080

and the MAC address in the second config (the ifconfig wlan0) is the same listed in the routers status list mentioned by me above...

two ideas that generally help:

1.) open firefox/mozilla, type in the searchbar "about:config". use the lower searchbar and type in "ipv". all entries with ipv should pop up. there is one, talking of ipv6 disabling, set this one from "false" to "true". do you get net access now? if not, use your cds and

2.) install the following packages: "resolvconf", "pump" and "dnsmasq". if you are using a lappy, also grab the "laptop-net" file. now deactivate your network, set up dns-entries in your /etc/resolv.conf file as root and restart the network.

i hope this solves the problem. :)

two ideas that generally help:

1.) open firefox/mozilla, type in the searchbar "about:config". use the lower searchbar and type in "ipv". all entries with ipv should pop up. there is one, talking of ipv6 disabling, set this one from "false" to "true". do you get net access now? if not, use your cds and

2.) install the following packages: "resolvconf", "pump" and "dnsmasq". if you are using a lappy, also grab the "laptop-net" file. now deactivate your network, set up dns-entries in your /etc/resolv.conf file as root and restart the network.

i hope this solves the problem. :)

1. I don't have firefox/mozilla installed on my linuxbox (yet) and when I try the about:config in Konqueror it redirect me so I end up with the address about:konqueror instead.

2. I can't find the packages resolvconf and dnsmasq and I don't quite understad what you mean when you say I should set up dns-entries in my /etc/resolv.conf file as root??? But I have found pump and will install that anyway :)

Edited by Postman

as you do not have mozilla/firefox installed yet, install them from your cds. these will work instantly with the about:config / disabling ipv6 stuff. the only thing that is a bit more trickier is your ftp-connection (for upgrading your system) but we will discuss that later.

I don't quite understad what you mean when you say I should set up dns-entries in my /etc/resolv.conf file as root???

every network needs a dns-entry. dns stands for the domain name server resolving. your comp will need these entries in order to "transcribe" the ip adresses (like 123.456.78.9) to names/readable entries like www.mandrakeusers.org. the dns-servers are usually provided by your internet service provider (short "isp").

routers tend to transfer the ips's dns-entries to your box. but somtimes this does not work the way it should. the router e.g. will tell the computer that the nameserver is 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1, thus telling the comp that the router takes care of everything. but in fact the router does nothing. so you have to change the dns-entries in the following folder: /etc. in this folder there is the configuration file for the resolving of dns-names = resolv.conf. this file usually stores by default the routers ip. this needs to be changed now.

open a terminal (the black monitor icon), type "su" this will let you log in as root. now enter the root password. now deactivate your network with the following command: "ifdown eth0". when this is done, you need to start an editor. in case you use the gnome-desktop, the command would be "gedit" but in kde you could use e.g. "kwrite" we will assume that you use the default desktop, which is kde. so in the terminal, you type now:

kwrite /etc/resolv.conf

kwrite will now open the file and you need to replace the "nameserver=192.168.1.1" or whatever it is with something like this dns-servers can be found e.g. via google:

nameserver=217.237.150.141
nameserver=203.0.178.191

now save everything and restart you network, typing "ifup eth0".

now check if your network is functioning and give us a feedback.

good luck. :)

I installed the pump and then entered the nameservers as suggested WITH a = between the word nameserver and the IP-adress which lead to the fact that I am writing this to you from my Linuxbox! Yipee!!!! :-) (oh, btw, I used ifdown wlan0 and ifup wlan0 since eth0 didn't work)

However I've encountered another problem. I've lost the connection to the router, or rather the possibility to access the webadmin of the router, whenever I try to contact it through 192.168.0.1 it times out and on the same time I lost the connection on my XP-box (I think the router just went ahead and gave the Linuxbox the same IP# as the XP and since the webadmin can't be accessed I can't fix it).....any suggestions...

// I think I solved it...anyway thanks to you all for having patience with a neewb... :-)

Edited by Postman

Ok, I have "pump" and "dnsmasq" installed, but I can't find "resolvconfg". But I do have a /etc/resolv.config. It contains:

search kc.rr.com
nameserver 24.94.163.113
nameserver 24.94.165.25
nameserver 24.94.165.132

But my old pre-upgrade /etc/resolv.config said:

search crashdamage.net
nameserver 192.168.0.2

I'm not sure what this means or exactly what it *should* say now. I admit to being more than a little lost here.

As for the "ipv6" thing, using Firefox as you suggested I found:

network.dns.disableIPv6     default  boolean  false

But I can't find how you change this to "true". I think I need some education on this stuff. :wall:

I'm just not sure where to go from here.

network.dns.disableIPv6     default  boolean  false

simply double click on the word "false" and change it to

network.dns.disableIPv6     default  boolean  true

ignore the resolv.conf for now. try the above mentioned change to ipv6 and report back if your connection is working. :)