No ping - no internet [SOLVED]

Postman

simply double click on the word "false" and change it

WTF? I did that before but nothing happened, so I thought there must be some trick to it...oh well changed now, but no difference, still no 'Net connection through Win4Lin. I expected that since I have no NAT, or anything else, configured at the moment. In fact, I not only turned off Shorewall in MCC, but I went to chkconfig and turned off iptables from there (# chkconfig iptables off). I did that for 2 reasons:

1. I urpmi'd firestarter-0.9.3-1mdk, but when I try to run it I get this message:

"A proper configuration for Firestarter was not found. If you are running Firestarter from the directory you built it in, run 'make install-data-local' to install a configuration, or simply 'make install' to install the whole program. Firestarter will now close."

The Firestarter website docs were no help at all. Google searches turned up no solutions except to "install the latest package". Yeah, right. So I urpme'd Firestarter, disabled iptables and reinstalled, to get everything going from scratch with no prior configs mucking up the works. Still no go with Firestarter. Too bad, looks kinda nice.

2. Since that failed, I thought I'd try setting up Shorewall with Webmin's Shorewall module, since it gives far more options and control than MCC. That requires disabling all prior iptables scripts. But before I started, I thought I'd check for a reply here.

So that's where I'm at, ready to start fresh. I'll leave things as is for now and ask kindly if you, artic, or someone could offer some guidance on just how I should set this up, with either Firestarter (I think I'd like it best) or Shorewall, I don't care too much which as long as I get it right this time. Man, I miss Bastille...

Thanks for the help so far!

Edited by Crashdamage

Just an update...

I finally had some time to mess with this a little more. I setup IP masq and NAT in Shorewall using the Shorewall module in Webmin, and all is well. Both my now-working laptop (the HD was ok after all!) and Win4Lin/Win98 have full 'Net access again.

Only thing is, I still don't quite understand why I couldn't save the hostnames as before, or why even though my /etc/HOSTNAME file correctly lists 'localhost.mybox.net', the hostname is not correctly set - it still comes up as 'localhost@cpe-65-30-14-83 tim' in Webmin or 'tim@cpe-65-30-14-83 tim' when I open a terminal. Can anyone explain what the deal is with that?

sorry, but i couldn't answer before... i am ill atm.

*coughing, sniffing, hanging in front of the comp with a bad cold and fever*

nope, sorry, can't tell you why. it should have done that by default. but sometimes things simply don't work the way they should... but nice to hear that id did work in a second attempt. :)

*hopping back into my bed, taking medicine* :sick2:

Hmmm...I guess the hostname thing will just have to be one of those unsolved mysteries of Unix/Linux. No big deal, since everything works, but kinda curious.

In fact, I've got everything in this new 10.1OE install pretty much working up to snuff now. A couple of minor issues - Fluxbox 0.9.10 is cool, but has some bugs not in v1.14, which was basically bug-free. KDE is functional but all messed up, and I'll have to straighten it out soon for other users on this box. But 10.1 seems quick and stable and has some nice improvements over 8.2. I'm getting off-topic here...

Artic - sorry to hear you're feeling down. Just take care of yourself, and thnaks for the help!

• 1 month later...
Guest Diwann
1. I urpmi'd firestarter-0.9.3-1mdk, but when I try to run it I get this message:

"A proper configuration for Firestarter was not found. If you are running Firestarter from the directory you built it in, run 'make install-data-local' to install a configuration, or simply 'make install' to install the whole program.  Firestarter will now close."

The Firestarter website docs were no help at all.  Google searches turned up no solutions except to "install the latest package".  Yeah, right.  So I urpme'd Firestarter, disabled iptables and reinstalled, to get everything going from scratch with no prior configs mucking up the works.  Still no go with Firestarter.  Too bad, looks kinda nice.

just to inform you : google explained me that to have firestarter runningyou have to type

gconftool-2 --set --type string /apps/firestarter/client/system_log /var/log/kernel