Use Linux and you will be sued

spinynorman

It pisses me off to no end that microsoft wants to sue anyone that chooses to use an operating system other than their own!! Whatever happened to freedom of choice? As for their allegations of patent violations, that's probably crap. Why wait until now to make the announcement? Because Linux is gaining popularity, that's why! They can't stand that and will do anything to stop it. I'm sure they will eventually try to come up with some BS way to sue individual users for trying to use Linux as well.

It's one thing to promote your product to customers, but to discredit someone else's so you can have the monopoly on a product, and then threaten to sue others who use the competitor's product, that's crossing the line.

The more I hear about this sort of thing the more I want to kill my WinXP partition. I only have Xp on my PC now for some of the newer games (faster game installs) but this sort of thing will make me format it permanently. I wonder how many other users that are "on the fence" about which OS to use will now turn to Linux. Microsofts greed is beyond anything I ever seen.

...and on another Microsoft-related note....

The Financial Times has this story: CCIA President Gets $10m from MS.

Basically, shortly after the CCIA (the US regulatory body) settled its antitrust action against MS, the chairman of the CCIA shows up with $9.75m of Microsoft money in his pocket.

The EU antitrust judge has called in the interested parties for a discussion. I suspect he won't be in a jolly mood.

some interesting point: as far as i know, the us central court uses linux... will ballmer sue them too? i believe those lawyers in the central court know what they are allowed to use lagally...

some interesting point: as far as i know, the us central court uses linux... will ballmer sue them too? i believe those lawyers in the central court know what they are allowed to use lagally...

It is definitely true that our best defense against these type of attacks is for Linux to become so popular for business and/or home usage that it will not be practically possible anymore to defend this kind of position. Or look even more the fool.

Not only the OS, but also software like FireFox, OpenOffice, Gaim, Mplayer/Videolan, Limewire, ...

:redhat::fedora: :mdk:

It pisses me off to no end that microsoft wants to sue anyone that chooses to use an operating system other than their own!! Whatever happened to freedom of choice? As for their allegations of patent violations, that's probably crap. Why wait until now to make the announcement? Because Linux is gaining popularity, that's why! They can't stand that and will do anything to stop it. I'm sure they will eventually try to come up with some BS way to sue individual users for trying to use Linux as well.

I completely agree, nevertheless, history has repeated itself by revealing a simple truth: desperate people- desperate measures...

there is nothing new under the sun. In my humble estimation most of us would probably agree that in living in a free and capitalistic society, people like entre-manure Billy boy Gates should be allowed to take full advantage of selling a product for the sole purpose of gaining revenue even if it means eliminating competition at all cost (sarcasm). The problem with Billy boy is that he wants to completely circumvent the "FREE" more specifically the "freedom of choice philosophy" that governs our democratic society. To make matters worse he intends on using the very Justice system in place to protect us from capitalistic cockroaches to perpetuate his system of injustice by encroaching on our basic right- to make the choice of whether or not to install freely distributable software or proprietary software.

In short I'll end on this note, Billy boy I as well as the rest of my Linux comrades sincerely hope that you have dug up two graves...