Kernel update - necessary? Dangerous? CLOSED

Hi there,

Mandrake 10.0 Official

No changes to kernel 2.6.3-7mdk

I've been having trouble with installing a Wacom Intuos 2 graphic tablet and an Aiptek graphic tablet - this is the subject of another post.

Some reading suggesting updating to kernel 2.6.16 ??? if I've got this right.

I've installed urpmi as described at easy urpmi, but I'm just not sure what the consequences will be.

How does a kernel upgrade work?

What are the possible consequences - what would I need to reconfigure (eg. Firefox?), anything?

Any (simple) explanation would be most appreciated. I'm very new to all this and somewhat concerned about breaking my pc. It's not the only one I have, but I use them for practical purposes - they are toys and things to bugger around with second :)

Thanks for any assistance/information provided.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Edited by 4ebees

the latest, non cooker kernel for MDK10.0 is 2.6.3-19 (not 2.6.16). i've been using it for several weeks now, with no ill consequences. i have never had a problem with any official Mandrake kernel update/security/bug fix. not to say that i could never happen, but Mandrake tests their kernels pretty thoroughly before releasing them to the public.

how to get it?

the safest & easiest method (IMHO) is use Mandrake Control Center->software management->updates. it will auto install the kernel along side your current kernel & add an entry to lilo for you. reboot after applying the update, you'll see the new kernel entry in your bootloader screen, boot from it. if after running it for a while you find no problems you can safely remove the old kernel using MCC->software->remove.

Mandrake does the above as a failsafe. instead of replacing your old kernel with a new one, it preserves the old one & just adds the new one so you can always fall back on the old kernel should problems arise with the new one.

one final note.............. if you also want new kernel-sources to match the new kernel (which is neccessary in some case, depending on various things that need a matching kernel/kernel-source, such as Nvidia drivers) you need to manually download & install it. you can do that by using MCC->software->install, type kernel in the search box, & choose the matching kernel-source version number to install. Mandrake doesn't provide kernel-sources via the update module, you have to get them manually.

ok, one more final note............. you can also do all of the above via command line as root using urpmi. i just think the GUI interface is an easier/nicer way. (i'm a GUI junkie). should you want to update/install a new kernel (or any app, for that matter), make sure you have an update mirror source, open a terminal, su to root, then type........

urpmi.update -a

that will update your sources. then type.........

urpmi kernel

that will list available kernels, if more than one is available. choose the one you want, install it. do the same thing for the kernel source by typing.............

urpmi kernel-source

choose the matching kernel-source, install it.

Chris

Edited by chris z

No you haven't got it right :) We're only at kernel 2.6.9. Kernel 2.6.16 is still some time off.

You need a kernel upgrade if a piece of hardware (in this case a graphics tablet) isn't supported by the present kernel. In the kernel you have modules (windows calls this drivers). Your graphics card needs a particular module (driver) to work. If that module doesn't come with the present kernel you have 2 options: build the module yourself or install a kernel that has that particular module.

Sometimes people have build an rpm for a particular module, other times you need to compile it yourself.

For kernels goes the same: if the kernel is available as an rpm install it with urpmi (reboot and in the liloboot screen you will have a new entry). If not, you have to build the kernel from source. (and make sure that the graphic tablet module is build).

Good luck

PS: For kernels: the higher the number, the newer the kernel. So 2.6.3 is older (and has more errors, supports less hardware etc etc) than 2.6.8. (and 2.6.16 we will probably reach this time next year :) )

Urm,

Sorry for being a bit slow, but I couldn't find any Kernel update (or anything with 'kernel' in the title) in MCC??

Am I looking for the wrong thing/name/title??

I am JUST leaving for my holiday (in an hour!) and I looked in here... :))

Thanks for the rapid responses. I'll check in again when I get back.

I am using a Wacom Graphire 3 tablet which did not work properly on any previous release of mdk (not talking about kernel updates). The suggestion indeed was to upgrade the kernel which should do the trick. Instead I waited for the 10.1 official and my waiting proved successful. My Wacom tablet is now running without any issues at all, no fixes or anything ewlse needed. :banana:

updating your sources refers to making sure your rpm repositories are kept up to date, in a nutshell. packages are added/removed/updated on a regular basis on the ftp mirrors. it's a good idea to update your sources every so often, or before searching for apps to install, to make sure the packages on the mirrors are up to date. to do so, 2 ways......

open Mandrake Control Center->software management->media manager. click "update". select the sources you want to update (no need to select CD sources since they never change), then update them.

or........

in terminal as root simply type.......

urpmi.update -a

that will update all of your sources in one fell swoop.

Chris

Edited by chris z

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, to everyone: thanks for you advice and assistance.

Now, I've been putting this off, but "I'm going to do it". I realise that for those who have done a kernel upgrade this may not seem much, but with all the effort I've gone to configuring my machine to be just as I like it (and it's the first Linux box I've owned/configured/used), I'm a little anxious about this :unsure:

The newest version showing for me is:

2.6.3.19 mdk-1-1mdk

Now one says kernel-smp-2.6.3.19 mdk-1-1mdk

the other kernel-secure-2.6.3.19 mdk-1-1mdk

What is the difference and which should I install?

Again, as per usual, I'm most appreciative of everyone's time and assistance.

Patrick

Edited by 4ebees

the latest MDK kernel is 2.6.3-19. you want to get the following........

kernel-2.6.3-19mdk-1-1mdk

kernel-source-2.6.3-19mdk-1-1mdk

it's always good to have the matching source for your kernel installed. in case you ever want to compile something into it, or especially to use certain proprietary software (like Nvidia drivers).

you'll see many variations of the kernel, as you've noticed. generally, you won't ever need smp, secure, etc. type kernels, unless you have a particular set up that might benefit from them.

a quick walk through of the various types..............

smp = for machines with more than on processor.

secure = for machines you want to run more securely, typically a server.

multimedia = a kernel compiled with various options for assorted multimedia functions.

i586/i686-up-1G/4G = kernels for machines with more than 1 gig of memory.

enterprise = compiled specifically for a large enterprise server.

there a few others, but basically stick with the normal kernel & source, unless you need one of the others for a specific situation/set up.

Chris

Edited by chris z

the latest MDK kernel is 2.6.3-19. you want to get the following........

kernel-2.6.3-19mdk-1-1mdk

kernel-source-2.6.3-19mdk-1-1mdk

it's always good to have the matching source for your kernel installed. in case you ever want to compile something into it, or especially to use certain proprietary software (like Nvidia drivers).

you'll see many variations of the kernel, as you've noticed. generally, you won't ever need smp, secure, etc. type kernels, unless you have a particular set up that might benefit from them.

a quick walk through of the various types..............

smp = for machines with more than on processor.

secure = for machines you want to run more securely, typically a server.

multimedia = a kernel compiled with various options for assorted multimedia functions.

i586/i686-up-1G/4G = kernels for machines with more than 1 gig of memory.

enterprise = compiled specifically for a large enterprise server.

there a few others, but basically stick with the normal kernel & source, unless you need one of the others for a specific situation/set up.

Chris

Chris,

As usual: clear, specific and very helpful. I appreciate your input enormously and will certainly provide an update as to my success (!).

Patrick

:thanks:

• 3 weeks later...

Oooh, well... I finally did it. As may have been obvious, I was somewhat concerned.

It was damn easy :)

everything seems to be working as well as it did before - which brings me to a question that will only expose my ignorance:

What is is that the new kernel is improving - or is there somewhere else that I can find this written in laypersons terms?

Thanks to everyone for their help and assistance.

Regards,

Patrick

For the Australians on the forum (sung to a popular commercial for an electrical outlet, based itself on a Monty Python song):

"I like Linux, I like Linux,

They aim so very much to please"