Linux maintenance

a13x

I'm thinking if Linux needs some kind of maintainance works. I dunno, maybe this is just a Windows obsession (like the AV one) but I was thinking about cleaning the system of obsolete, temporary and useless files etc.

For example in Windows you needed to: defrag, scan for viruses, clean, defrag, scan for errors and optimize the registry, remove adware and many other things. I understand that the Linux FS doesn't suffer from fragmentation but what maintainance job should I do ?

LOL.

I know it's realy hard to get used to. When I switched from MS to linux it took me a long time to get over the fealing that i was way overdue for a defrag.

When I ran windows, I used t defrag weekly, and every 6 months I would alternate between re-installing windows and completely re-formatting my harddrive and re-installing windows.

Of course, at first I screwed linux up beyond my ability to fix it way more often than that (like every other week) because i was trying to learn the system the hard way, and boy was it worth it.

My computer has been running now since I re-formatted after buying a new motherboard probaly 6 months ago. Not only has it not slowed down as windows would have, but because i have put some effort into configuring it the way i want it, it is in fact much faster than when installed.

If you get realy crazy about it, I here there's mpeg's you can download that if played in full screen 'look' like the windows defragmenter running. It might help ease the withdrawl pains.

Be careful of those files in /tmp and ~/tmp Some of those are files that programs like X need to run and they are hard to recreate. The only real maintenance needed is getting rid of old rpms and tarballs that have already been installed.

Be careful of those files in /tmp and ~/tmp Some of those are files that programs like X need to run and they are hard to recreate. The only real maintenance needed is getting rid of old rpms and tarballs that have already been installed.

use tmpwatch to remove files in a (tmp) directory that has not been accessed for a certain number of hours. the beauty of it when applied ot the tmp directories is that everything is generatable (?) so if you deleted something important then restarting that application/software should be enough to restore that file to its initial state.

ciao!