Rate the new Mandrake 10.1 CE

arctic

What is your opinion on Mandrake 10.1 CE so far?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion on Mandrake 10.1 CE so far?

• I like it a lot. Good job done.
    • Not bad at all. Some debugging and it will be a fine distro.
    • Average. I had expected more stability, productivity and ease of use.
    • I don't like it a lot. It has some grave bugs and needs some hard work.
    • i hate it. Buggy & unreliable. Mandrake 10.0 was better.

mandrake 10.1 CE is out for some time now... time to evaluate the distro, eh? i updated my box on friday and so far, i am quite positive. There are some bugs but nothing else was expected from a community edition.

the very first impression of 10.1 CE is better than 10.0 CE imho. more stable (i can use it for my everday work. wow! :)), better contrasting, better wallpaper, better mcc. i think 10.1 OE will be a fine distro.

Edited by arctic

same - I installed 10.1CE clean on my new HTPC box (my laptop runs cooker and hasn't been installed since 9.0) and looking at it right from scratch install it's very nice. A few bugs that are already fixed in Cooker will make a good difference - fixes to speedtouch modem installation, and also fixes for some permissions problems with udev. I really hope OE has a patched pm.h in the kernel-source to make nvidia drivers work with no messing. But it should be another great release...

Not everything worked out of the box but that was to be expected and there where some new problems that I hadn't come across before so that was interesting but on the whole I like it.

It seems stable, no crashes so far (well not really true. But it was my fault. I made it crash :) ). Let's hope they soon begin with the upgrades. I really would like the latest X.org packages and KDE 3.3.

10.1CE is a lot more stable than 10.0CE was. I am still note sure if I am going to trust it with my essential data... I will undoubtedly wait for official.

But I really like the improvements to MCC and the general cleanup of the menus. It still needs some work, but I am trying my hardest on that one :-)

I think they got it better this time than 10.0 CE and any final before that.

I did notice a few things on the systems I installed it on, but nothing big, and better than ever before (maybe not as good as 10.0.2 in all cases, but I didn't use that one everywhere).

There are some issues, bug 8004 (mine) from 10.0rc1 only just got solved last week, so in 10.1ce you still have to fiddle if you have a usb webcam with mic and a pci soundcard..

Overall, anyone who has some experience with Linux / Mandrake should give it a go, if only to be sure that OE will run flawlessly.

I had nothing to fiddle on 2 systems, and less than ever before on 1 other.

I hope to have a monster review up in a week or so...

• 2 weeks later...

Very impressed. Worked perfectly on my new laptop(Dell Inspiron 5160) except for the nvidia hassle. Tried to install 10.0 but had a lot of undetected hardware so I decided to give 10.1 a try and am very happy with my decision. Even got my wireless card working with ndiswrapper with a little work. Head and shoulders above 10CE. Great job mandrake!!!! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Well its really nice. I was struggling with 10.0 Official on my R50 Thinkpad, then thought about giving 10.1 CE a try and voila! my wireless worked out in single shot. Things are running better.

Infact i am almost on verge to trash the winxp on the other partition and make mandrake 10.1 CE the only os on this laptop :cheesy:

( :wall: I still can't get to run the 2 extra keys i have on my laptop to work for back/ front during browsing.)

Overall everything looks cool :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Edited by anand

• 2 weeks later...
For extra buttons on laptops, try a little piece of software called Acme. I used it to map all the multimedia keys on my Dell 8600.

Where do i get it from ? Thx for being a life saver :)

Edit: Ok i found Acme, http://www.devin.com/acme/. however i get an error while compiling

checking for libgnomeui-2.0 libglade-2.0 libwnck-1.0 >= 2.1.5... Package libgnomeui-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.

Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libgnomeui-2.0.pc'

to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable

No package 'libgnomeui-2.0' found

configure: error: Library requirements (libgnomeui-2.0 libglade-2.0 libwnck-1.0 >= 2.1.5) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.

And i have complete gnome already installed, any clues on what i am missing here ?

Edited by anand

• 1 month later...
Guest sidsrivast
Very impressed. Worked perfectly on my new laptop(Dell Inspiron 5160) except for the nvidia hassle. Tried to install 10.0 but had a lot of undetected hardware so I decided to give 10.1 a try and am very happy with my decision. Even got my wireless card working with ndiswrapper with a little work. Head and shoulders above 10CE. Great job mandrake!!!! :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Hi - I have been using Redhat/Fedora for quite a while now until I decided to bought a laptop (5160). Fedora is really hopeless on this one and I was thinking of switching to Mandrake. I read a lot of postings on some nVidia problems with mandrake thought. Could you say something on which solution worked for you with this laptop?

Thanks a bunch!

(my sanity/linux is on hold!)

-sidsrivast

Guest sidsrivast
Very impressed. Worked perfectly on my new laptop(Dell Inspiron 5160) except for the nvidia hassle. Tried to install 10.0 but had a lot of undetected hardware so I decided to give 10.1 a try and am very happy with my decision. Even got my wireless card working with ndiswrapper with a little work. Head and shoulders above 10CE. Great job mandrake!!!! :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Hi - I have been using Redhat/Fedora for quite a while now until I decided to bought a laptop (5160). Fedora is really hopeless on this one and I was thinking of switching to Mandrake. I read a lot of postings on some nVidia problems with mandrake thought. Could you say something on which solution worked for you with this laptop?

Thanks a bunch!

(my sanity/linux is on hold!)

-sidsrivast

me again - is there some place where I could read up on setting up ndiswrapper to work with the 5160? or if you have a set of instructions ;)...

thanks!

-sidsrivast

It was nice just niggling things like I couldn't get NFS working properly (permissions/security level?)

Problems with hardware detection at every boot playing havock with graphics card...

+s finally support 1GB RAM in non-enterprise

look nice, still hate having that customised * to get rid of though.

Ill wait for OE and try it on y spare machine I think...

Won't be trying 64bit unless Mandrake make it free to download.... 9.2 64 bit was very dissapointing and Im not paying more than Suse to try the new 64bit

other problem was even more half baked wizards ..probably what was causing the security probs with NFS..

I could NFS my homes but nothing else and MDK has no way to set them up anymnore (I could find) I couldn't figure the NGFS thing out and had no entertainment system till I did so ..

meanwhile my Debian installs solved above problems.. added NFS shares by hand in less time than starting the MCC! exportfs -ra and off it goes.