How can I upgrade my 10.0 to 10.1 using the net?

humano457

The bottom line on upgrades is be prepared for it to go wrong and be able to fix it if it does...

it obviously can work but it is a more expert solution than a clean install.

In this new dawning of urpmi and its excellence, I think we should be careful with that 4 letter word 'upgrade' :jester:

I've come to the conclusion that an upgrade via urpmi and an upgrade via the mandrake installer are 2 completely different things ;)

this ought to work. devfs -> udev migration is handled, might need to remove devfs=mount from lilo.conf, though. the other big one to watch out for that I can think of is make sure that you overwrite kdmrc with kdmrc.rpmnew - apparently, if you don't, mdkkdm won't work. other than that, should be fine.

(btw, my laptop hasn't had a fresh install since 9.0 :>)

I juust started a thread on my failed(?) ftp upgrade from 10.0 OE (no X), but would like to know where to change the kdmrc to kdmrc.rpmnew.

So if I boot into the old or new kernels do I need to edit lilo.conf with VIM to take out the devfs reference? I am really crappy using VIM and might destroy the whole file. No joke.

Robert

FWIW, I recently upgraded to 10.1 over ftp and then later downloaded the CD's. It turns out that the CD's have newer versions of some programs than any of the Mandrake 10.1 mirrors. The most notable one is KDE 3.3 instead of 3.2, but there were others. I am looking through the mirrors-list on MandrakeClub, and so far I haven't found a single mirror that shows KDE 3.3 packages in the cooker, 10.1, or community trees. This makes me wonder where they are storing the packages that are located on the CDs.

Upgrade comment:

I had 10.1 community release that had been made by upgrading from beta1. I recently downloaded and fresh installed the iso's. Guess what? It works better than urpmi upgrading! I can't ever explain this stuff, so I give up. I only know that for years, I have had best results fresh installing. More work, better Mandrake. B)

fresh install will always do some things urpmi upgrade cannot / does not do. urpmi won't ever install a completely newly created package that isn't required by a package you already have, for instance, and new drak tools often fall through this net. It also won't update configuration files you edit yourself, which can lead to new features not appearing, or (occasionally) problems with updated applications. urpmi upgrading generally does an excellent job, though, especially if you do it on a continual basis.