OpenOffice.org and MDK9 and spellcheck

DOlson

Ok Guys and Gals. I finally found out how to enable the spell check in openoffice in Mandrake 9.0.

1. Make sure that you have the appropriate dictionary and hyphenations rpm installed.

2. Now, open up openoffice, go to tools -> options

3. Go to openoffice.org -> Paths. then edit the Dictionary path to /usr/share/dict/ooo

4. Make sure that you got the right language setup in Language settings -> Languages, and got the tickmarks ticked in Language Settings -> Writing Aids.

5. Now you should have spellcheck working.

Anyway, if the setting doesn't keep, try deleting the /home/user/.openoffice directory, then restart openoffice and edit the options around. I made all my changes stay, with exception of the 109% view scale trick.

Now could you test if my theory on this is right? If it is, put a copy in trick and tips or tutorial.

Worked for awhile altough I had to follow the delete the OpenOffice diretory in home option. Also you have to select Canadian English. If you select US English it marks all words as mispelled and does not offer suggested replacements.

The problem is after you restart OpenOffice it seems to think it does have the Canadian English package installed and the spellchecker no longer works. If you check the languages in options it indicates that there is support for US English. If you sellect this than the spell checkers works, but again indicating all words as mispelled. Now this setting does stick.

The contents of my usr/dict/ooo directory are:

dictionary.lst

en_CA.aff

en_CA.dic

th_en_US.dat

th_en_US.idx

Okay by deleting the (1) OpenOffice folder, (2) editing the patch of Open office from /usr/share/dict to usr/shr/dict/ooo

and (3) selecting Canadian English I can get the spell checker working for one session.

Next time I launch OpenOffice it will have English (USA) selevted instead of English canadia.

I checked out:

file:/home/ral/.openoffice/user/config/registry/instance/org/openoffice/Office/Linguistic.xml

And the first line reads

en-CAsoffice.dic sun.dic

The contents of my usr/dict/ooo directory are:

dictionary.lst

en_CA.aff

en_CA.dic

th_en_US.dat

th_en_US.idx

Could this be the source of the problem?

Sorry if this offends you, but I have to ask this question. Why Canadian English if you are not Canadian? Yes, I know that Canadians in general speak better English than Americans, but isn't it a lot easier just to install the US English dictionaries if you just want spell checking ability? All you got to do is just install these rpms if you want to make sure that it has spellchecking capabilities in US, Canadian and UK English.

myspell-en_US-1.0.1-0.20020626.4mdk

myspell-hyph-en-1.0.1-0.20020727.4mdk

myspell-en_GB-1.0.1-0.20020903.4mdk

myspell-en_CA-1.0.1-0.20020315.4mdk

Anyway let's do a bit of comparison.. I put the Local Setting to Canadian English and this is the first line in

/home/dmage/.openoffice/user/config/registry/instance/org/openoffice/Office/Lingustic.xml

<DefaultLocale cfg:type="string">en-US</DefaultLocale>

and in ~/.openoffice/user/config/registry/instance/org/openoffice/Setup.xml

<ooLocale cfg:type="string">en-US</ooLocale>

<ooSetupCurrency cfg:type="string">CAD-en-CA</ooSetupCurrency>

<ooSetupSystemLocale cfg:type="string">en-CA</ooSetupSystemLocale>

Which means that no matter what I do, the default language for documents will always be US English, but the local will be English Canada..

Anyway, to continue the comparison, this is my dictionary listing in

/usr/share/dict/ooo/

dictionary.lst

en_CA.dic

en_GB.dic

en_US.dic

th_en_US.dat

en_CA.aff

en_GB.aff

en_US.aff

hyph_en.dic

th_en_US.idx

Oh.. it seems that the language setting is saved to document. If you load a document saved in Canadian English setting, then OO will keep the setting and load the approppriate spellcheck dictionary. Anyway.. If you install all three dictionaries, be sure to enable them by going to option -> Language Settings -> Writing Aids. Press the edit button besides Available Language modules box and Put tickmarks into all the available language (In my case it's English USA, English Canada and English UK). The Canadian English spellcheck should work once you put the document into the Canadian English setting.

Sorry I cannot help you any more than this.. I am having problems with mandrake's implementation of openoffice too. but I manage to make it usable enough for me.

Actually, I used it because it is the only one that worked, and only works if I delete the OO.o folder in my home directory and dothe changes you suggested. After I close OO.o, well it stops working.

Looks like I may be missing files in my Dict folder.

I don't suppose I can downlaod the US dict somewhere? Think I will try unisnatalling and reisntalling the en language module.

Just installed the rpm's off the cd's (2 and 3) and finally got my spellchecker working... even after a restart. Must not be a default to install the proper files....... but that is what this board is for! figuring out the solutions 8)

It work, closed and started again several times it worked...with US English.

But it stoped working again.

Okay my dict/ooo folder now looks like this:

/usr/share/dict/ooo/

dictionary.lst

en_CA.dic

en_GB.dic

en_US.dic

th_en_US.dat

en_CA.aff

en_GB.aff

en_US.aff

th_en_US.idx

Sigh.

Guest viewsonic

HOWTO: Get OpenOffice.org 1.0.0 Spell check to work in Mandrake Linux 9.0

The following assumes that OO was installed as part of your Mandrake install and spell check does not work:

1.Uninstall OpenOffice.org-1.0.1-9mdk and OpenOffice.org-l10n-en-1.0.1 using Mandrake Control Center>Remove Software>Software Packages Removal.

2.Delete /home/user/.openoffice.

3.Install myspell-en_US-1.0.1-0.20020626.4mdk AND reinstall OpenOffice.org-1.0.1-9mdk and OpenOffice.org-l10n-en-1.0.1 using Mandrake Control Center>Install Software>Software Packages Installation.

You should not have to alter your path or anything else in Tools>Options.

Disclamer: I got this info from alt.os.linux.mandrake

I think we should post three possible fixes in one post:

First: Try adding my-spell-en_US-xxxxx

Second: Try altering the dict/ to dict/ooo if this still does not work.

Third: Try the method proposed by Viesonic.

It seems that different things worked for different people. This is probably because we install M9 differently. I do a custom install with KDE only.