Gentoo Xorg 6.8 with Transparency

Finally got xorg 6.8 and transparency to work in Gentoo.

Found great info here:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Xorg_X11_and_Tranparency

I must admit my 32mb Radoen card is really getting pushed to do it. Computer has slowed a bit. Not sure If I can keep it running all the time.

This is the link to my desktop via Xorg 6.7 no transparency:

http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?act=Att...ype=post&id=982

Attached is my new Desktop :thumbs:

Check out the shading and transparency. Xorg 6.8 rocks :headbang:

post-1694-1094999572_thumb.jpg

Edited by ac_dispatcher

hmm... if you ask me, i find the transparency-stuff as useful as a keyboard without keys. it wastes hardware resources, makes the system thus slow and does not help you to get your work done any better. no, it is almost impossible to work with this "ego-toy". just think of three windows one on top of the other, all with transparency... how will you distinguish one window from the other. it looks like a mess.

imho, the transparency for xorg is the most stupid thing ever developed for a computer. not even microsoft or apple created such bulls#$%.

:wacko:

Edited by arctic

It's all about taste, artic :deal:

Got Xorg 6.8 myself, though I don't use the transparent stuff, but it looks cool! Such options could lure graphic-whores :cheesy: away from windows to linux. It's all about choices IMHO.

I'm myself a bit of a graphic-whore :P

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

yes, it is about taste.... but also about usability, no?  :D

actually no, I've not heard one person that likes, uses, or devels this crap say it is useful. What eyecandy is useful? Lets just all have grey, black, and white, shall we? How about it? :cheeky:

BTW, Stardock has all this and much more. They've worked with M$ devel. ;) Of course with linux, it's free, and will someday be painless for anyone to use.

Edited by bvc

hey, i like the twm :P

:lol:

edit:

I've not heard one person that likes, uses, or devels this crap say it is useful.

just take a look at kde-look and you will find many eye-candy things of which people claim "it is useful!" :)

Edited by arctic

I've got the new xorg but I can't get my translucencies or drop shadows to work.  I've edited my xorg.config and it should work!    :wall:

You went through the wiki right?

What happens when you use:

xcompmgr -c &

&

transset .2 <--- when you run that, you click your mouse were you want transparency.

What is it doing?

I'm also running Gentoo with Xorg 6.8.0. I'm very pleased with the look of things though random program stability with xcompmgr running is less than satisfactory.

(edit: btw I put a screenie of mine up a few days ago in the "Show off your desktop" thread.)

Edited by LukeK