Gentoo Xorg 6.8 with Transparency

I've got the new xorg but I can't get my translucencies or drop shadows to work.  I've edited my xorg.config and it should work!    :wall:

You went through the wiki right?

What happens when you use:

xcompmgr -c &

&

transset .2 <--- when you run that, you click your mouse were you want transparency.

What is it doing?

It would tell me it couldn't find composite. But that's ok. X went completely flaky on me so I wound up downgrading. Guess I'll wait for stable.

• 2 weeks later...

Too bad because I was just going to try to run transperancy, but since we have the same cards I don't think it will be a good idea then, but I will expirement with it later on. :thumbs:

Btw it looks really really cool, now I know what they mean when they talk about True transperancy. :D

-Luis

• 4 months later...
Guest HeckyNaw

Hi, I found this website by accident today when I googled the word blur. I started reading this thread and I absolutely couldn't resist. I love the idea of transparency especially for desktops and in my free time I like to Photoshop stuff and here's what I've come up with. :P

transtrillian3b3rf.jpg

I would say all operating systems will be able to do or outdo what I managed to make in PSCS in about... say, 10 years? :X

BTW- that would be my Trillian

Edited by HeckyNaw

Transparencies are cool. As long as it is optional and doesn't require any resources when disabled (other than a few hd space).

Anyway, I think transparencies is nice if you can actually make the whole monitor transparent.. so you can see what's behind the monitor :)

Aye, that'd be really cool Dragonmage...

HeckyNaw: dont worry, we'll have displays like that in much less than 10 years.

when i did run transparencies, i did find them usefull. For example, if i wanted to write text from one window to another, or to actually find where my window is when i have many open. or to have documentation open when programming, its there right under gvim. dont need to alt tab it. i can see when i get a message in irc or msn, even if the window is under another one. and we all like something that looks attractive, if my desktop looks good, im less tempted to change it, meaning im able to get more done, and you must admit, the shadows do look good.

as for the performance, much of that is because it's very experimental, dont worry, it will improve substantially.