Which Distro article

Leo

i read some days ago, that mandrake-servers are a bit rare due to the big amount of time they have spendt on the development of a good desktop-distro (mission accomplished in most respects imho) and their comparably nonexistent advertizing. when i look along the websites, i do see very often redhat and suse/novell ads, but none of mandrake. so this is where they need to improve.

but hey... is there any debian-server advertising? i never saw one and it is still number three for linux-servers, way ahead of mandrake. this is weird.

Well, this article seems to be exploring Distros for business (ie. Enterprise Editions and big companies_ While Mandrake has some Business solutions, I think their primary aim is still the home desktop. RedHat has been synonymous with business Linux for ages and with Novel's backing so is Suse. Debian is mentioned because of all the geeks and admins who swears by it, so that's not suprising also.

But all in all, it seems to be a good article.

Thats not the only reason Debian is mentioned. It is also one of the most platform independent distro's... with lots of choice of ports other than x86

Its also one of the most stable distro's, especialy compared to mandrake, something mandrake have only just started to address with community/official.

Tools in Debian are NOT like Suse and Mandrake in that they remain compatible with other tools whereas YAST for instance doesnt work well with 3rd party tools

its a lot less graphical but things like netcardconfig etc. are all CLI but get front ends .. but I never see a tool in Debian that breaks the use of another tool....

If we look at Windows for Warships for instance we see lots of *nix stuff and its argued (by those who know) how linux will integrate better with this...

Debian/Gentoo integrate better for the enterprise because they will run across diverse architectures ... Gentoo is perhaps a little bleeding edge whereas Woody is very stable if boring...

Like gentoo it has a social contract and it is this as much as anything that is reponsible for its popularity.