SuperKaramba vs. gDesklets

Artificial Intelligence

Okay, in the past few days I've been looking for which one to choose and been on both web sites (superkaramba and gdesklets that is) but have a bit difficult to see the diffrence between them :unsure:

I read somewhere on this board that gdesklets can run on both KDE and Gnome and Superkaramba only on a KDE desktop. I'm a KDE user so Superkaramba would be easiest to install? Also I've checked that gdesklets require alot of files I have to download before I can get it to work on KDE. But again I've seen alot of cool screenshots of what gDesklets can do.

So the buttom line is: what's the diffrence between the two?

:juggle:

.:=The AI Dude=:.

there are almost identical tools for gdesklets and superkaramba. superkaramba is easier to handle/configure imho. but there is a bug in the current superkaramba package (items are sticky on top all the time), so you would need to get the sources, change one of the config-files and then recompile the whole thing. so, if you arent afraid and want to recompile it, go ahead. gdesklets uses a bit less resources but as far as i know, it doesn't support transparency in kde.

there are almost identical tools for gdesklets and superkaramba. superkaramba is easier to handle/configure imho. but there is a bug in the current superkaramba package (items are sticky on top all the time), so you would need to get the sources, change one of the config-files and then recompile the whole thing. so, if you arent afraid and want to recompile it, go ahead. gdesklets uses a bit less resources but as far as i know, it doesn't support transparency in kde.

The problem you mention is been fixed in latest releases.

From Superkarambas troubleshooting FAQ section:

3.1. All of my themes are "always on top" of the other windows in KDE 3.2.

This problem should be fixed in the most recent release.

And I can gurantee it is, since i have it running on MDK 10.0 OE and 10.1 beta2 without problems.

I have recently debated the same issue. I decided to try Superkaramba since I am also a KDE user and so far what I have seen is fantastic. I downloaded liquid_weather which is an awesome little app that seamlessly integrates into your desktop showing you the 5-day forecast for your area. I highly recommend it! :D

I guess, still being a newbie, I didn't know about gDesklets and only new about greklm.

I have just started to look through the "show your desktop" thread and had been wondering what some people had been using to show all kind of info on their desktop using transparencies.

So, is it true than gDesklet doesn't support transparencies under KDE? (I'm a a KDE user).

Soulse, I'd love to hear you support your statement too.

Not a bad Idea papaschtroumpf. When people are posting in the show off screenshots they could add which program they are using and which program that they are showing to help out people.

I have grkellm installed with the "invisible" theme for disk/net/mem/hd activity...

One thing that I would like to have is the weather forecast. I'm not sure how to do that, I don't think grekllm has a plugin for it, gDesklet does but I wasn't able to get gDesklet working: I see the "puzzle pieces" icon in my task bar, but nothing happens if I click on it.

I couldn't find a superkaramba RPM either so I didn't try it.

a weather module is by default available in both kde and gnome for the taskbar, in case you didn't know.

i have recompiled the superkaramba source rpm for mandrake 10. if you want, i can mail it to you.

If you want weather, check this out: http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=6384 Enjoy!  :P

how do I run it? ./weather.py does nothing that I can see, in fact it's not even executable to start with.

Edit: this is a plugin for superkaramba, not a standalone app. I had missed that. :(

Edited by papaschtroumpf

superkaramba must be loaded first, then select from right-click menu on top of one of the desktop-eyecandy things (e.g. the systems-monitor) open new theme. browse to the folder, select the theme file and you are done. maybe the themes need some "reconfiguring" like setting correct window sizes, in order to make sure that the text is not out of the boxes and looking akward. modifying themes must be done as root.

Edited by arctic