time to upgrade

jmanjeff

it is time to get a new video card i have read so many reviews to day i am down to ATI 9800xt 128 mb or NVIDIA GeForce FX5900XT 128 mb

what do you think and why

My system is

CPU XP2100

Ram 786

MB Msi K7n2 Delta

dual boot XP & Mandrake 10

Thank's for any input

Edited by jmanjeff

nVidia is usually best. However, Not all nVidia cards are liked by Mandrake. This usually boils down to who made the card. My FX 5200 is a Leadtek Winfast, and Mandrake does not like it, unless, it is on an nForce2 mobo.

I have been using Nvidia before it became popular to use Nvidia. They are the best in linux. I also have a fx5200 that is excellent. I would buy anything you can afford in the fx chip series of nvidia. :headbang:

I have an nvidia FX5700 - VERY happy. Doom 3 plays smooth, everything rocks. I am also an Nvidia fan, but not all of the opinions on this thread are correct: ATI boards work just fine. I had one in a past system and I had no problems with it really. Just as easy, if not easier, to use than nvidia.

The reason I stick with nvidia though is just raw power and speed. ATI were on top not too long ago, but when it comes to value for money, nvidia are the shiz.

It's about percentages realy. There certainly are some ATI cards that work great in linux, but not all of them. If it says nvidia on the box, it will work with linux.

ATI and nvidia made a choice. ATI chose to support certain models on linux, and nvidia, chose to jump head firt into the linux pool and provide support for every single thing they make.

That's why I 'choose' to use nvidia

Really? I also have an fx 5200 and works fine on my asus.

I can only report my personal experience. Please note that I stated this card is a Leadtek Winfast! Mandrake 9.1 Powerpack install absolutely refuses to work with it. Mandrake 10.0 CE Powerpack's install works. However, when it starts X at boot, I get a bunch of garbage on the screen (this is with my Chaintech 7VJL Deluxe Apogee).

The same card works in Mandrake on my Gigabyte GA-7N400-L. Though it can take 10 installation attempts before install no longer hangs at Installing Bootloader.

However, the eVGA GeForce 4 MX440SE 4X Dual VGA NEVER had this problem. No problem at all.

So, I am stating that not all cards are equal, even though they may have the same graphics chip.

I got the Leadtek Winfast A340 GeForce FX 5200 8X, 128 MB for my CGI system, until I can afford a Quadro FX 500. (Gigabyte mobo)

My Internet and general usage system has my Chaintech mobo.

I have an nVidia Geforce 2 in my main computer and it works great and I've never had any problems with it. However, I have an ATI Radeon 9000 in my laptop and it's a complete pain. Finding a working driver is next to impossible. Linux works fine on it, but XP doesn't like it much.