Linux newbie here

axel_2078

Hello everyone. I'm totally new to Linux. I ordered a copy of Mandrake Linux and it should arrive today. I'm looking forward to setting it up and getting started. Linux has really peeked my interest and I want to learn more. I'm sure I will some questions though. Anyway, I just wanted to say hi.

Kevin

hi axel and welcome aboard. :)

before you start installing, you might check out the FAQ section of this board. there are many hints that will perhaps answer some of the questions you might have. with every other problem and detail about linux, feel free to post your questions in here. we are a patient group of linux-users and will surely help you as good as we can. and we all were once newbies. ;)

Thank you very much for the welcome. I look forward to becoming a Linux user and hopefully I'll be able to leave the Windows world behind soon. I'm also hoping to get my Linux+ certification soon, but if may have to wait a while since CompTIA is about to change the test in late 2004.

FWIW: Mandrake 10.0, plus the crazy guys here (including gigabytes of helpful advice just available for the browsing) are what finally helped me make the switch from another MS-slave to the freedom of Linux.

:D

FWIW: Mandrake 10.0, plus the crazy guys here (including gigabytes of helpful advice just available for the browsing) are what finally helped me make the switch from another MS-slave to the freedom of Linux.

:D

For me it was mandrake 9.0 and all the crazies here that helped me switch. Now I'm using 10.0 and i AM one of the crazies.

on the subject of crazy, you know what's crazy? trying to learn a new OS by dual booting with you old one. If there is any way you can manage it, just dive in head first. Back everything up before you dive, but just go for it. At the very most, I reccomend you dual boot untill you have confirmed your ability to access the internet through linux. Then format and re-install without windows. You could get rid of windows without the format, but i think the second run at instalation is probably worth the experience, and gives you the chance to screw up a completely diferent set of things. :lol:

Anyway, by doing it that way, you force yourself to learn faster. It's a bit like teaching a second language by emmersion.