Is there a "Front Page" like web site designer for

Guest TweakHound

Netscape composer isn't that bad. There is also Mozilla composer (very similar to Netscape).

If you use Star Office there is a web designer prog in it.

You could also try Quanta ( http://quanta.sourceforge.net/ ) or Bluefish ( http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/ )

If you want to buy a software then IBM websphere studio ( http://www-3.ibm.com/software/webservers/studio/ ) .. I've been told that they were making a linux version. Didn't check though.

Good luck !

MOttS

I managed to run Namo Webeditor 5 (demo) with WineX on MD9. It runs ok, but I still have to figure out how to use the internal preview function, because it looks for iexplorer.exe or netscape.exe, lol.

One could just save the work, and run Konqueror in parallel to check how it looks ;)

www.namo.com

Anything, including vi, is better than Front Page.  But Quanta Plus and Bluefish are both pretty good.

LOL let's get real...and leave this blind hatred for MS products aside. How can you claim that vi is better than Frontpage????????????

Guest jglen490

Alright, alright.

Anything, including vi, is better than Front Page :D . But Quanta Plus and Bluefish are both pretty good.

Is that better?

Sheesh :? .

[/edit] After further review, I stand by my original statement. At least with vi you have the "right" to be completely compliant with W3C recognized standards. With Front Page, you're limited to its optimization for IE and standards as Microsoft sees them.

Alright, alright.

Anything, including vi, is better than Front Page  :D . But Quanta Plus and Bluefish are both pretty good.

Is that better?

Sheesh  :? .

[/edit]  After further review, I stand by my original statement.  At least with vi you have the "right" to be completely compliant with W3C recognized standards.  With Front Page, you're limited to its optimization for IE and standards as Microsoft sees them.

Front page only allows for broken (non-standards compliant) code

Guest TweakHound

I didn't mean to start an arguement guys :)

Thanks for the input!

I have the 9.0 Power Pack CD's and I can't seem to find quanta on them. Anyone know which CD it is on?

It's on your cds for sure. Open the Mandrake Control Center (MCC), clic 'Software Management' and 'Install Solfware'. Make a search for 'quanta' and clic on the box 'quanta ..' and clic 'install'. Rpmdrake will ask you to put in the cd that quanta is on.

Alternatively, you could open a console and su to root (type 'su' and enter the root password) and type the following:

urpmi quanta

They both do the same thing..

Cheers !

MOttS

Guest TweakHound

MottS,

I tried what you said and quanta is indeed NOT on my CD's.

I'm wondering if the MDK 9.0 Power Pak I have is "hosed".

Could someone check their CD # against mine?

The CD # on Installation CD 1 is 01SPP-9001

Thanks

I did check with mine and it is on CD2. I have the download edition though.

If you have a problem you can still download it from www.rpmfind.net . Here is the direct link.

http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/sear...=mandrake&arch=

You have to download quanta-3.0-0.pre1.2mdk.i586.rpm (this is the one that is on my CD2). I don't know is version 3.1 will work unless you have kde 3.1 rc5 (not sure).

EVEN BETTER --> put rpmfind.com in your rpm sources and you'll be able to install Quanta from the Software Installer. As root type that in a console (in a single line)

urpmi.addmedia rpmfind ftp://ftp.rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrake-devel/cooker/i586/Mandrake/RPMS with synthesis.hdlist.cz

Now open rpmdrake and seach for Quanta or type 'urpmi quanta' in a console as root.

MOttS