Is there a "Front Page" like web site designer for

Guest TweakHound

I would like to be able to do my site using Linux if there is a good alternative to MS Front Page. Any suggestions?

Heh. My first reaction to this question was, "no, all HTML editors I know of that run on Linux allow you to write clean HTML code."

Stay away from Frontpage. Its code is horrible. I agree with others that your best bet if you don't know HTML is Mozilla Composer. If you do know HTML, Quanta works very well.

Guest TweakHound

MottS,

You are right, it is on Install Cd 2 (I was looking on the commercial apps CD). I wonder why it didn't show up in the Install Software list? When I tried the console command it said "everything already installed" or something like that. Strange.

Anyway, Thanks!

jwl,

I can do moderate HTML. The reason I use Front Page is it is fast and easy and it works. I have no desire to get into advanced coding, its just not my thing :)

Thanks ALL!

Some people have this bug. When you try to install something, urpmi returns 'everything already installed'.

There is a fix for that here --> http://www.club-nihil.net/mub/viewtopic.ph...ready+installed

i don't have this problem so I didn't try the fix but that may solve your problem.

Also, if you are not good with html stuff, try Netscape/Mozilla composer. They are good and you can do pretty much everything without touching the code. This is how I did my web page btw... html is not my part of my skills and I currently don't have time to learn that ;-)

Hope this help

MOttS

EVEN BETTER --> put rpmfind.com in your rpm sources and you'll be able to install Quanta from the Software Installer.  As root type that in a console (in a single line)

<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->urpmi.addmedia rpmfind ftp://ftp.rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrake-devel/cooker/i586/Mandrake/RPMS with synthesis.hdlist.cz<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->

That's gonna give the guy cooker. Are you *really* sure that's advisable for a newbie?

Now open rpmdrake and seach for Quanta or type 'urpmi quanta' in a console as root.

And that's going to pull in the whole of KDE3.1rc5 (at present) which has some issues ...

I would suggest adding a normal Mandrake source, something like this would work:

urpmi.addmedia rpmfind ftp://ftp.rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrake/9.0/i586/Mandrake/RPMS with synthesis.hdlist.cz

But, it's easier to use http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon to find mirrors for urpmi sources.

Anyway, I think Mozilla composer is probably currently the best for WYSIWYG support, I use vi ;-).