Can't Boot From CD

Guest theusualfate

Guest theusualfate

I have my computer set up so I have both XP and Me on it. Now , I want to install Mandrake , so I download it and burn disc one files onto a cd-r using Nero (the cds are verbatim) , now , when I do this it says somerthing about too big and afterburning to I click yes (the files are 695 mb) , so once its done , I get this nice screen and says I need to reboot , I do that and windows does not recognize the disc , then I try to make it from the floppy and still nothing. I even tried to directly boot it from the cd and NOTHING worked

I hope someone can help me :)

Thank You SO much

-randy

Welcome! :D

To me that sounds like a currupted cd. Try running and md5sum on the ISO ( the files that you downloaded ) you can find more information and how to do it by clicking here . Also what version of Mandrake are you triying to install? And I don't know what you mean by verbatmin, but you do know that you have burn the cd's as an Image? Usually when I did not select to burn cd as an image is when I get the error that the file is too big, when you select to burn as an image I think it like shrinks it and it makes it fit. Hope this helps,

-Luis

Guest theusualfate

By verbatim I meant the brand , I just made a data cd using Nero and copied the files because the thing I downloaded (Mandrake 10) wasnt an .iso , it was a bunch of files.

(it was zipped tho)

thanks again :D

Edited by theusualfate

1. If it was just a bunch of files, it was total garbage and you need to delete them all download correct ISO's and burn them properly. Simply copying the files from a bootable CD will NOT EVER make a bootable CD. Not yelling at you, just wanted to make sure you caught that oh-so-important point.

2. 695 and you got a "too big" error? You need to make sure you are usiong 700MB CDR's. Believe it or not, you can still buy 650MB CDR's and this may be what you have, in which case the iso's will not fit.

3. To get proper ISO's you have 2 options:

3a. Go to http://www.mandrakesoft.com/ and find the download link and get the official iso's.

3b. I reccomend however, that you go to http://www.cheapbytes.com There, you can get mandrake with the fourth CD included (which you normaly have to be a club member to get) and it's like $8.99, 11.99 after shipping. I know, I know. $3 is outrageous for shipping 3 CD's in paper sleaves, but $8.99 is super cheap. They ship ultra fast and having boght several distros from them and several versions of mandrake, I've never had a problem. Besides, the fourth CD is worth it's weight in gold anyhow.

Guest theusualfate

Has anyone downloaded off www.linuxiso.org?

so when extracted it should give me a .ISO file right or do I have to compile it?

thanks alot :0

Edited by theusualfate

Has anyone downloaded off www.linuxiso.org?

so when extracted it should give me a .ISO file right or do I have to compile it?

thanks alot :0

This post has been edited by theusualfate: Today, 12:59 AM

I downloaded mine from www.linuxiso.org Their one of the best one, and they have the md5sum right next to the download link, their really good. Those files that you burned sound like a big rip off, just be happy you didn't have to pay for them or anything :thumbs:

-Luis :thumbs:

Edited by Luis101

As a side note: even with all Mdk10 CDs correctly burned (or bought), you may discover that CD1 will not boot. In this case, boot CD2, and 5 minutes later, it will ask for an install CD, at which point you put CD1.

Yves.

Guest theusualfate

thanks B) I had no clue that WinRar opened up ISO'S , i thought the entire time that it was zip :oops: , thanks for clearing that up for me

• 1 year later...