How do you login as root?

boyce1

Yep, total noob...

Installed Mandrake 10 got everything working OK (Well I do get an an eth0 error on boot up but it works OK and from searching this forum sounds normal.)

I wanted to install some additional software but it won't because I am not logged in as root and I can't figure out how to do that.

When I reboot the only option seems to be to login as the user I created.

I have tried in a console via, it seems to work but when I go back to KDE it doesn't recognize it.

So, how do I login as root and then get to KDE?

Thanks and sorry for such a basic question. (I did try to search on "login" but the forum gave me a keyword error.)

There are several ways: If you're in X (the graphical environment) you can open a consolel, type su at the prompt <enter> password.

If you're in a terminal (no X), and you see a login prompt you can give as user name root <enter> password. Then you type startx to start X.. (If you are already logged in with your regular user account, type su<enter>password)

If a program needs superuser (administrative) rights to be executed (like the Mandrake control center), a box will appear when you start it, that asks for the root-password

Yep, total noob...

Installed Mandrake 10 got everything working OK (Well I do get an an eth0 error on boot up but it works OK and from searching this forum sounds normal.)

I wanted to install some additional software but it won't because I am not logged in as root and I can't figure out how to do that.

When I reboot the only option seems to be to login as the user I created.

I have tried in a console via, it seems to work but when I go back to KDE it doesn't recognize it.

So, how do I login as root and then get to KDE?

Thanks and sorry for such a basic question.  (I did try to search on "login" but the forum gave me a keyword error.)

If you are able to login via command line (for example the gui is not starting when your system starts) you can login as root like this:

login: root
password {enter your root password that you set during the os installation}

then at the command line use:

startx

to start the gui environment. Another way that you can do what you want is to open a konsole and use these commands:

[jason@localhost jason]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost jason]# mcc
[root@localhost jason]#

This will open the Mandrake Control Center with root privledges allowing you to add and remove software.

Edited by jdion81

It should be pointed out that it is not advisable to do exactly what you are doing. Logging in as root is dangerous because it is very insecure and also allows you to break your system very easily.

Using the su command as mentioned above is a much better way of doing things with root priviledges than to log directly in as root.

Hope that makes sense!

I think you got some really good advice here also please I recommend that you check the Friendly FAQ table here This has an endless amount of infomation, the other day I must of read about 85 percent of all this all learned a ton, you seriously can't go wrong with reading this stuff. I'm still a Noob too but it's you that decides if you want to be the newb that posts for every question, or find out on his own and asks questions when you can't over come the obstacle, I think I'm starting to take the second one step-by-step and you should too, theres no better feeling than finding things out on your own, but eventually you will need answers from others, and thats why there is this wonderfull board :thumbs:

Just read my signature that was some good advice from Iphitus

-Luis B)

Edited by Phoenix

Thanks everyone!

The su / mcc option worked great!

Appreciate the help.

Hi Phoenix - I have been reading the FAQ you mentioned just couldn't find out how to login as anything other than a user. Probably my bad but I am trying. Guess it is just not basic enough for me :wall: using "su" to login in as root is not exactly intitutive for me (nor was the concept of being logged in as two people at once, ie user and root) although now I guess it stands for Super User or something, the light went on! LOL.

Anyway, on to trying to figure out how to get that box to show up on my network!

Thanks again everyone.

I think "su" stands for "substitue user" ... just read it in the manpage of su. To see manpages of commands on the commandline type "man <command>", for example: man su

Anyway you can change to any user with su like this: su <username>, for example:

su root

su boyce1 (if your username is boyce1).

Hopes this explains it a little more.

Thanks Michel!

I think "su" stands for "substitue user" ... just read it in the manpage of su. To see manpages of commands on the commandline type "man <command>", for example: man su

Anyway you can change to any user with su like this: su <username>, for example:

su root

su boyce1 (if your username is boyce1).

Hopes this explains it a little more.