WMV

Guest ZapoTex

Guest ZapoTex

Is there a wmv codec for Linux? If there is, I can't find it. Only Windows stuff.

Is there a program that lets me view them in "Kaboodle style"? I mean, a program that doesn't require launching from console, but has an interface. I tried mplayer, but there's too much to write in console.

Thank you all!

Edited by ZapoTex

instead of Kaboodle, give MPlayer a try. see my post in This Thread about setting up sources & which packages to get.

i tried Kaboodle (& various other players) early on, but i could never get any of them to play all files. MPlayer does this for me, both audio & video, Windows & non Windows file types alike. if i remember correctly, Kaboodle could never play a .wmv file. maybe that's supposedly changed with the latest version, but i haven't looked into it in a while since i've settled on MPlayer.

Chris

Thank you all! But does Mplayer have a graphical interface? I thought it didn't, but I'm wrong, I hope.

Thank you again.

Yes. You can use it both from the command line and from GUI. In fact there are many, many skins for Mplayer:

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/Skin/

Guest CsHoSi

Hi, I installed the win32-codec from PLF and I can play most WMV files now on xine and totem. It won't seem to play Windows Media 9 files though.

Is that just the way it is or am I missing something?

Mplayer plays everything.... :)

Th codecs are in /usr/lib/win32

You can check if you have everything. On the mplayer site you can download all codecs (including the ones you seem to miss know). Just copy them to the win32 folder and it should work.

Good luck

Guest CsHoSi

thanks...

I had 56 files in /usr/lib/win32. there were 61 in the essential codec pack from mplayer site. I copied and overwrote them into win32 directory. Still a no-go.

I tried to urpmi mplayer but it said I need liblzo.so.1, so I find the rpm and install it. Run it again and it says I need libfribidi.so.0. I find libfribidi0-0.10.4-4mdk.i586.rpm and run it, says I need fribidi. So I find fribidi-0.10.4-4mdk.i586.rpm, run it, and it says I need libfribidi.so.0!!! Ahh a vicious cycle!

I thought urpmi was supposed to take care of these dependencies automatically. Is it because I changed to online contrib?

You got your sources set up correctley? The Mandrake CD's, update, contrib and PLF are what you need. Urpmi doesn't work if it can't find the packages.

(PS in my win32 are 96 codecs. I think you need to install some more. :) )

Edited by devries