considering dual monitors

imwithstupid

Right now i'm running a single monitor on a AMD 64 with 512K of RAM (hey its expensive right now), mdk10rc1, and a GeForce FX5200. I'm thinking about putting in an even crappier video card and slapping a slightly smaller monitor to the side of my system. Should I get another nvidia card...will they conflict with one another...i already know about xinerama...what about performance...will 2 video cards lug things down at all?...could i make the bootloader give me the option of loading one or both of the cards...for special use...like single screen games,etc.

What exactly do you mean? Do you want to run dual-Display? Dual display you need any video card that supports " Nview ". You can find one at www.Tigerdirect.com or at www.newegg.com

Like I said just look for a vide card with Nview, on tiger direct it tells you more about it. One thing tho is that dual display does not work with games, with dual-display you have the option of expanding your desktop, this will split your desktop into two monitors usually people use two flat panels, that are specially designed to be together or you can have two different monitors and have for say Mozilla on one screen and have Kword on the other. This is what I do with dual display. And about the part if they run into problems I don't know haven't tried it on Linux, I guess it's up to trial and error :wink:

-Luis

Edited by Luis101

Your current nvidia card probably supports Twinview (is what we call it in Linux) already. You might just need a converter for your other output.

Checkout the nvidia website where they explain how to setup twinview in your XF86config file or checkout out an app. called yanc that will help you set it up (kinda like Windows' display properties).

Otherwise you can buy a second display adaptor, but it shouldn't be necessary.

...the geforce 5200 isn't that fast, so I guess I will be forced to buy another card if I want to keep the same image quality I have now.

My real question is...should I buy a card that is at the 5200's level or can i buy a crappy card. Will a crappy card slow things down? Also, since I would like to play some games can I set it so that at startup I have the option of 1 or 2 monitors (with a default of 2 after 5 seconds of course)?

Also, I will probably be using xinerama to handle the dual displays...they will be CRT's with similar refresh rates, etc.

Edited by imwithstupid

I have a GF4ti4200 in xerama at home and a GF2mx in xinerama at work.

You do not need any other card than your 5200 !

Just plug the other monitor on your card, install nvidia drivers and modify you XF86config-4

Performance in 2d is very good (video overlay on the 2 screens)

For 3d it's a lot of pixel for the card to handle, and games are not adapted to ultrawide screens, so you just have to cycle to your next setup in XF86 with one single monitor.

Look at the doc/examples that comes with nvidia proprietary drivers.

ps: at home i have 2 sceens in xinerama + tvout ! 3 displays on one GF4 card.

its more efficient to use one driver, its only loaded once...

however I have a GF2 (128MB) w/ 2x screens ..

I diont use Xinerama or twinview becuase one is a projector with widescreen ... not 4:3...

however I also have an old 32MB MGA400 which works fine for anything except games....

I saw a PCI version yesterday for 100 Euro's etc. but remember if you use PCI you only get a fraction of the BW of the AGP bus.

I used to have a 3 head too ... Id try your present card first and then decide if its not good enough!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pyrus
I have a GF4ti4200 in xerama at home and a GF2mx in xinerama at work.

You do not need any other card than your 5200 !

Just plug the other monitor on your card, install nvidia drivers and modify you XF86config-4

Performance in 2d is very good (video overlay on the 2 screens)

For 3d it's a lot of pixel for the card to handle, and games are not adapted to ultrawide screens, so you just have to cycle to your next setup in XF86 with one single monitor.

Look at the doc/examples that comes with nvidia proprietary drivers.

ps: at home i have 2 sceens in xinerama + tvout ! 3 displays on one GF4 card.

(SPELLIN OFF)

Hello.

I have the same card, and all screens, but how do you get it to work??

Im a total newbee (Oh no not an other one of thoes ;) ) So if you can make a simple step by step eksplanation on how I have to set it up iI will appriciate it a lot..

(SPELLIN ON)

/pyrus

** UPDATE **

I found the sample file and copy/pastede the lines that matched my configuration, and it worked.. the file is XF86Config.sample and it is locatede in /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/

Hope that helps others :thumbs:

Edited by pyrus