Any Other P2P's?

t_101

I downloaded gtk-gnutella and I definatley do not like it. Any other ideas or programs would at most helpful. Espescially since I can use my urpmi lol. Thanks.

-Alec

A very excited new Linux user.

PS..

Also any video editing downloads would also be very useful as well.

no specific recommendations becuase I guess the interface is personal BUT...

If you go to MCC and add software you can searchg in descriptions by choosing from the pulldown... so try P2P etc.

now you have urpmi setup its quick and easy to try one or more.

If you dont like them you can use remove software in MCC or urpme <package> from the CLI.

I often do this just to try things out, its the beauty of urpmi....

I would have to recommend LimeWire. I've always used Kazaa and LimeWire feels comfortable for me. Also, install was very easy (just remember to make it executable: "chmod +x Limewire.bin" from a command line; dunno if that is still necessary though).

And if you get stuck, check the LimeWire website or post on this board.

http://www.limewire.com/english/content/home.shtml

Edited by Darkelve

MCC=Mandrake Control centre (configure my computer)

urpme = the partner of urpmi... a Command Line Internface (CLI) tool for removing packages easily.

urpmi = install

urpme = erase

this can be done graphically in the MCC Remove software

I just downloaded LimeWire and I went to the command line and entered my password and all then tried to run LimeWire and it would not work. I tried using the urpmi and tried to insert it without typing urpmi. What do I do Darkelve. Also a thanks to Gowator. Thanks guys.

-Alec

I just downloaded LimeWire and I went to the command line and entered my password and all then tried to run LimeWire and it would not work.  I tried using the urpmi and tried to insert it without typing urpmi.  What do I do Darkelve.  Also a thanks to Gowator.  Thanks guys.

-Alec

t_101,

Limewire uses a different install method as urpmi. Urpmi is a mechanism to install RPM "software packages" (installable files). With RPM, it is possible that you need other files to install the program you are installing, and urpmi is a tool that checks what packages you need, looks if it can find them on the internet, and install them.

Limewire uses a binary installer, which means all needed files are included (correct me if I'm wrong here, guys).

For Limewire, go to the directory where you downloaded LimeWire and type:

chmod +x Limewire.bin

Use your TAB-key on your keyboard to complete the filename. If the above does not work, try:

chmod +x ./Limewire.bin

After you have done that, you can install it by typing:

Limewire.bin

or possibly:

./Limewire.bin

For larger files BitTorrent is best I think (www.suprnova.org). For individual songs I use Kazaa (though the network seems to be flooded with fakes for newer Top40 hits)

-1- The client I use is frombittornado (http://bittornado.com/download.html). Download the stable version, the source package) and untar it.

-2- Install wxPython (urpmi wxpythonGTK)

-3- associate .torrent (if you use KDE, in the KDE control center go to KDE components, file association, in the search bar type .torrent) with btdowloadgui.py (in the folder bittornado-cvs)

-4- download a torrent from suprnova.org and doubleclick it (or just click the link for the torrent)

Well, devries, I also use bittorrent next to LimeWire, but I find that bittorrent is good to get popular and "brand-new" stuff, but it is not good for getting older and/or less popular content.

(As always, I could be wrong though 8) )

Oh yeah mods, not to be picky, but shouldn't this be in "software"??

Edited by Darkelve

I tried what you told me to do and I must be doing something wrong. Umm quick question..Where is the directory? Is that the website? Or what I think I am doing wrong is the x. Your x looks like the multiplication x and I can't find that on my keyboard. We are almost there just be patient with me lol. Thanks.

-Alec

I tried what you told me to do and I must be doing something wrong.  Umm quick question..Where is the directory?  Is that the website?  Or what I think I am doing wrong is the x. Your x looks like the multiplication x and I can't find that on my keyboard.  We are almost there just be patient with me lol. Thanks.

-Alec

1. Where is the directory?

- Well, where did you download it? If you're using FireFox to download it, most likely it is in your home directory: /home/

2. Or what I think I am doing wrong is the x

- No, it's just the letter x, which stands for "eXecutable".

More information on command line (CLI) and commands:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=4463

Can you find the directory with Kfind? Launch Kfind (Alt+F2 then type 'Kfind' or start it from the 'K' menu), type "Limewire" for your search term (ignore the case of the letters) and start from the root directory ( represented by a single slash: " / " )

Edited by Darkelve

Need more instructions.  Nothing is working or i can't understand anything very clearly. Sry.

Any other ways or suggestions for Lime Wire?  Thanks.

-Alec

1. Download the program from the website

2. When you get a dialog box asking where to save it, save it in your home folder ( /home/)

3. Open a command line (Konsole)

(Normally, you are inside your home directory now)

5. type:

chmod +x L

and press your TAB-key

by pressing your TAB-key, it should auto-complete the filename (normally Limewire.bin or something similar)

if that does not work type:

chmod +x ./L

and press your TAB-key

if it still doesn't work, try the above, but with a lowercase letter "l"

Once the filename is displayed on the screen, press enter.

6. Type

<filename of Limewire file you just downloaded>

OR:

./<filename of Limewire file you just downloaded>

WITHOUT the angle brackets (I mean < and >)

And post your results if anything goes wrong.

Edit: or try this, as suggested on the Limewire website http://www.limewire.com/english/content/ug...allation.shtml:

Open a shell and cd (change directory) to the directory where you downloaded the installer. At the prompt type:

sh ./LimeWireLinux.bin

(apparently, the name is LimeWireLinux.bin)

Edited by Darkelve

I've tried a lot of P2P progs and I agree with you about Gtk-gnutella :D

For me the best are: Limewire and aMule.

I use aMule because Limewire is java and use a lot of resource of by little config.

[sorry if I repeat some things that had already been said]

To install limewire:

- first install java runtime environment (jre) there: link

- then run a X console as root, cd to the directory where the .bin is and run as root:

sh limewire<bla bla>.bin

That's all

To install aMule:

a little more complicate: it seems the quality of the rpm is not very good concerning the dependencies, at least for me.

It's on PLF, you must know what it is now ;)

It will probably ask you for dependencies, you'll may have to install some manually.