Any Other P2P's?

t_101

To install limewire:

- first install java runtime environment (jre) there: link

- then run a X console as root, cd to the directory where the .bin is and run as root:

sh limewire<bla bla>.bin

That's all

Roland,

I don't think you have to install Limewire as root. In fact, I think you have to install it seperately for each user.

His problem seems to be that:

a. He's in the wrong directory

b. He's in the right directory, but the file is hidden

c. He did not download it to his hard disk yet, or the download failed (?)

You can get the file from here: http://www3.limewire.com/download/LimeWireLinux.bin

t_101, try this to locate it:

su (type root password in this step)
updatedb (this step will take a while)
locate limewire

and see what that gives you.

Darkelve

P.S. urpmi gets your files from the web for you; binary files (.bin) and tar/gz files (.tar, .gz) you have to download them to your hard disk yourself. But I don't think there is an RPM for LimeWire, otherwise you could just do: "urpmi limewire" or something.

O yeah, you can get the file from here: http://www3.limewire.com/download/LimeWireLinux.bin

copy&paste this in your browser and download it to your home folder (you know the rest :) )

Edited by spinynorman

The .bin file does not show up in the Konsole with the other files that are saved in the same folder as LimeWire. Whats going on dude. I know we will eventually get this guys thanks for all the help so far. The folder is in home the my documents then my stuff then all the files I have are in there including LimeWire. Why doesn't it show up in the Konsole?

-Alec

The .bin file does not show up in the Konsole with the other files that are saved in the same folder as LimeWire.  Whats going on dude.  I know we will eventually get this guys thanks for all the help so far. The folder is in home the my documents then my stuff then all the files I have are in there including LimeWire.  Why doesn't it show up in the Konsole?

-Alec

Are you sure you downloaded it correctly and it is in the right folder?

If so, maybe it's hidden.

Once you are inside the correct folder, what do you get when you type "ls -alh" ?

Or, more specifically, "ls Lime* -alh" ?

Does it show then?

The reason I mentioned typing ./LimeWireLinux.bin is that typing " ./ " makes it so that you can run a hidden file. Of course, if it's not hidden, it's not necessary.

Edited by spinynorman

Nope didn't work.  Maybe I should completely start all over and delete the one I have downloaded right now.  Then you and I can go through step by step if you would like or don't mind.  I would fully appreciate it.  Thanks.

-Alec

If you want, you can go visit the MUSB chat. I don't have time to go there today, but the people there will be able to help you step by step, while you are at your PC. See the link "Chat" at the top right of the screen? That's the chatroom.

I'd help you, but I don't have a lot of time the rest of the day. And I think that chat might be a better medium to solve your problem anyway.

Also, it is important to tell what you found, what messages you have, what exactly is your problem, where are you stuck. Just saying "I'm stuck" or "It did not work" does not really help us help you ;) .

Darkelve

Edited by Darkelve

To install limewire:

- first install java runtime environment (jre) there: link

- then run a X console as root, cd to the directory where the .bin is and run as root:

sh limewire<bla bla>.bin

That's all

Roland,

I don't think you have to install Limewire as root. In fact, I think you have to install it seperately for each user.

:oops::help::wall: ok I should shut up sometime ....

.... but he should install jre before and the one I linked, NOT the sun's one: the mandrakeusers one is better: it set the $JAVAxx things and everything needed.

as I remember and I havnt done this for 6 months and im at work on NT right now...

you should have a limeware file whereever your downloads go...

i.e. your home directory somewhere or wherever you set it.

to open a console/xterm etc. go to the KDE(start) menu and choose terminals somewhere... then choose any (not a superuser one)

or

run then type xterm in the box...

from here you need to use CD to be in the same directory as the downloaded file LimewareLinux.bin

then

sh LimeWareLinux.bin

(this exectutes it specifically, its an ungly way but simpler to explain than the proper way)

follow the instructions... presuming jre was properly installed else it will tell you.

good luck

Whats <bla bla> .bin.  And when you say x console do I type x.  And what do I type?

Could you give me step by step if you do not mind.  Thanks.

-Alec

<bla bla> doesn't really mean anything. In this case, it means "whatever the rest of the filename is".

an "X" console (also called "X terminal") is a console that you call up while you are still in graphical mode (with fancy windows, taskbars, buttons, widgets, ...). It's not really that important for your purposes to know the difference.

Okay. Call me crazy, but somehow I think it will be easier if he does it all from command line this time.

1. Open a console (you start out in your home directory)

2. Type

wget http://www3.limewire.com/download/LimeWireLinux.bin

This will download the file for you in the same directory you are in (currently /home/ ).

When your download is finished:

3. Type

ls -alh | more

to see the contents of your directory, including any hidden files and directories. Check if the LimeWireLinux.bin file shows up.

Edit: OK, pay attention, now you have to make it executable!!

4. Type:

chmod +x ./LimeWireLinux.bin

5. Type

sh ./LimeWireLinux.bin

This should work for you.

Tell us at what step you got stuck and any messages you might get.

Edited by Darkelve

Al,

So did you get it installed? Lol dam dude now I have Baseball twice a day, I don't think I can pull any more late nighters. I'll talk to you saturday on when ever you get back from nick's little party.

-Luis, Oh yeah I got the darn avatar thing working . You like? Just simple but just getting started.