Mandrake 9.2 or 10

Guest jaycee333

Guest jaycee333

I am about to install Mandrake 9.2 or 10 for the first time. Initially it will be on a partitioned disc. Which is the best to go for? I seem to have heard that there has been problems with 10.

I have used every Mandrake since 7.0. I can tell you about all the problems on every one of them. But, there is nothing wrong with 10. If you would really like to experience "wrong", install 8.1!! :lol:

Like Ix says their have always been bad ones BUT MDK 10 wasnt one of them... at the same time as 8.1 was RH 7.0 an equal disaster for the same reason (change of the glibc library)

In 9.2 to 10 the difference is kernel 2.4->kernel 2.6 but for most people there are no problems...

better to say what components your PC has (motherboard, graphics etc) just to check there are no known issues .... but overall 10 is very good! :D

Yup, I'd vote for 10 as well.

No major problem's at all.

In fact, the only problem that I can recall is, of my 2 printers (one a parallel inkjet, and one networked laser), I'll be buggered if I can remember how to add the laser network one :wall: , the inkjet connected parallel, is spot on.

regards

John

For your Fist time, go with 10. It simply works. Some people have had some trouble, but this board is here to help with that. If you look back, at lot of people had troubles with 9.2, so like was said before each release has less than desirable "features" included that may or may not affect you. Check to make sure your hardware is supported and save yourself some trouble, if your system is solid you should be ok.

Now that I have done 5 installations with Mandrake 10 OE, I think I can recommend it if you don't have any conexant winmodems (or you are able to purchase the drivers). The only installation bug in 10 OE is the yenta_socket module not being loaded after the first bootup, making all the pcmcia cards useless (load it up and put it in /etc/modprobe.preload and it will boot up fine).

If you have Conexant winmodems and want to use the free beta driver, I recommend 9.2.1 instead.

I downloaded 10 but during install it hanged. After rebooting (only option) I tried again with same result. Booting again and choosed 'upgrade' this time.

Now it reported an error in KDEArtwork but was able to finish the installation.

I 've read about at least 4 people who reported the same error overhere, so I assume something went wrong when Mandrake made that image... :unsure:

I did not trust the installation anymore and decided to use Mandrake 9.1.

Edited by Hatepe