Steve's Semi-Annual Hardware Question

Steve Scrimpshire

I have a four-track to record music from my electric guitar and I recently saw this:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/drives/6908/

The questions are:

1. What are the possibilities of this thing working in linux?
  2. Would I be better off, quality-wise, buying a really good soundcard (recommendations, please) and routing my guitar amp to the line in of the soundcard and recording that way?
  3. Is number two even possible? If so, exactly what setup would I need (hardware, wiring, software)?

TIA

WARNING! this is a useless post :D

I've been out of touch on this stuff for a while but have often wondered what guitar is like on a computer. The last thing I need to do is find out since I used to play 4 to 6 hours a day :thumbs:

If 4 track recorders are anything what they were 8 years ago then it has almost got to be better, much better, on a pc. At least I'd hope so. Linux? I don't know. You been here?

Like I said...this is a useless post but I'd say #2, except I believe the guitar plugs straight into the soundcard/via/adapter, no? Then the effects ..etc...would all have to be software or pedals so maybe not...though I'd think it's possible.... Ok I'll shut up, stop thinking out loud, and let someone who has done it tell ya :cheesy:

Have fun!

I know a few people who record semi-professionally to professionally but non in Linux Im afriad.

There are whole boards devoted to it and like anything else you can just pay and pay....

The professional stuff all goes through various HW mixers before being laid into a track but I think a lot of this is tradition....

The difference on the more expensive professional sound cards is usually how many tracks can be lain at once. Obviously quality is quoted too but the tracks at once seems important for pro recording...

If you just wanna play about yourself then a decent soundcard is all you need (IMHO) .... I honestly think you'd need to be REALLY good to justify a top end $1000 card... as opposed to a good soundblaster quality one.

I think option 2 would be better just routing the pre-amped signal straight to the line in via a 1/4" plug to a normal connector.. one thing to beware is you need the mono plug... the stereo 1/4" ones somehow the seperating plasic bit seems to be in just the wrong place.... I tried hacking a cable together but it didny work becuase of this!

option 2 is definately better - digital sound gives you so much better quality if nothing else.

The problem is that you will need to do it in windows. The linux software is getting there, but it's simply not good enough yet.

Audio processing is a hefty task for your pc so you need as much processing power and memory as you can afford. You will also need to buy a decent sound card which can handle audio - 24bit ideally and 90 - something mhz (I forget exactly)

A USB soundcard might be the best way to go, it will help to avoid the sound of your fans etc being included in all your recordings...

[*]What are the possibilities of this thing working in linux?

By the looks of it, it's just a 'dumb' deck, the only connections being the in/out to the sound card. There is a serial cable connection that may be used for remote controlling the unit. I'm just guessing, though. Therefore, it may work with Linux.

Manual