How to uninstall bootlaoder so I can reload Windoz

Guest jtaylr77

Guest jtaylr77

When I installed 10 on a spare computer I just gave the entire HD partition to Mandrake but now when I try to boot to a windows installation CD the bootloader loads even though I have it set to boot from CDROM 1st in teh BIOS. I don't have a floppy boot disk either. Thanks.

Put in cd1, boot and at the s[lash, hit F1. Type rescue. Choose the menu option to restore the windows boot record, or mbr. That's it.

Guest jtaylr77

It is a Windows Xp CD but i also tried my 98 with no luck. I will attempt the F1 optiion to rescue and check about restoring windows MBR. Thats what I thought I needed to do but without being able to boot off the CD I didn't know how to do it. Thanks.

Guest jtaylr77

Okay...I did reinstall windows boot loader from the rescue screen...however, when I reboot I get a "bad IPL" response and nothing happens.

I have run into a similar problem in the past when I installed linux on a blank hard drive. I cleared linux out by deleting the partitions and starting again with a blank drive but no matter what I did, win98 reported problems with the drive and refused to install on the drive. The only thing that fixed it was zero filling the entire drive with the hard drive manufacturer's utility. All the major hard drive manufacturers have diagnostic utilities on their websites which can not only test the drive, but also perform a zero fill(i.e. writing zeros to every sector of the drive). If all else fails, you might want to try a zero fill.

I've always used fdisk from a win98se floppy, but if it's on the 98cd see if it'll format the hd. If not, as pmpatrick says......hard format the hd.

... and if it is boot floppy's you need, go to www.bootdisk.com

he has no floppy BUT

a bootable CD should boot with or without the HDD connected!

in other words try disconnecting it....

can you boot then win CD then ???

if not then its either your bios settings OR the CD reader is faulty or the CD's are perhaps dirty ??

If it does boot ... then I guess we might need to look deeper ...

Windows CD's are bootable, as long as you got the right type of CD (install vs. update I believe).

Even 98 was bootable...and I know for a fact the XP install cd is bootable.

Windows CD's are bootable, as long as you got the right type of CD (install vs. update I believe).

Even 98 was bootable...and I know for a fact the XP install cd is bootable.

Yes, XP is bootable, don't know about Win95 or 98 though. I needed a boot disk for 98 anyway.

Maybe it's because I did not get it from Micro$oft :rolleyes:

Edited by Darkelve