USB flash drive...

Nazgulled

Is it possible to use under mandrake?

Any special procedures to have before it works?

How to mount it?

What about the filesystem?

If anyone could answer this and more questions that I may ahve forgot... it would be nice ;)

thanks in advance

Yes, it's possible to use them. Most will work with no special procedures.

You will need to create a mount point (usually /mnt/sda1), but that can be done via MCC -> Mount Points.

The filesystem doesn't matter, afaik. If you want to switch it between Windows and Linkx, use FAT or FAT32.

One important note, however: Make sure you unmount it before you remove it from your usb port. You can lose data if you don't.

The easiest thing is to tell MCC not to mount it automatically, but to allow a user to mount it. The options for this are user, noauto then when you want to mount it, type mount /mnt/sda1 (after the mount point is created, it can be whatever you want). To unmount, umount /mnt/sda1 Both commands are issued in a console.

MCC is like the command prompt in windows? in other words, a console in linux?

cuz in windows I jsut have to plug them in and it will be detected automatically, I plugged it in in linux and nothing happen, os I just have to type that in the console everytime I want to use it right?

but 2 things I didn't understand:

1) "The easiest thing is to tell MCC not to mount it automatically, but to allow a user to mount it. The options for this are user, noauto(...)"

2) "(after the mount point is created, it can be whatever you want)"

I know what is to mount a drive cuz this is not my first time but the last time I used linux was for a few days some years ago so I didn't learn that much and I can't remember what I'lve learned, sorry.... thanks for your time.

With Mandrake 9.2 (I haven't used 10), any usb Mass-storage device (/dev/sd*) would be automatically taken care of with supermount and an icon will popup on your desktop.

Pretty neat, worked with me. Didn't have to mount or modify nuttin'

Anyway, if it doesn't work that way, or you don't use supermount - once you have a mounting target directory and you've found your dev, edit fstab so it mounts with minimal effort from there on in. Only problem is if you have other sd devices, it might change it's dev listing every so often.

Usually if you run KDE you should be able to just plug it in and and icon will appear

if it doesnt, run these commands while its plugged in

mkdir ~/removable

mount /dev/sda1 ~/removable

If that doesnt work let us know what it says and run this command

ls /dev/sda*

Good luck

Ah, the card readers. Now, they can be pretty grueling. First, it could help if you tell which version of Mandrake you are using and the make and modell of your card reader.

Simple one card readers shoud not be a problem. I would suggest that you plug the reader in and insert a card. Then start your computer. The system should detect it automatically and MDK10 should place an icon on the KDE desktop (I quess this is the MS way of making things, but it should work). My reader got detected during Mandrake 10 install and supermount works fine. Clicking the icon opens Konqueror with the CF contents.

However, if you are using a multi card reader you may find yourself in trouble. I used to have a CF/MC combo back when using MDK9 and I never succeeded to make it work. I gave up finally. I haven't tried with Mandrake 10 though.

And dear senior/experienced/guru fellow users. I've been using Mandrake some three years now. I have learned a thing or two, but I still consider myself as a newbie. In the beginning I was totally lost with some instructions I got from here and elswhere. We newbies need good, clear and simple point-to-point instructions and advice. The geek mumbojumbo, which is clear and easy to you, is sometimes hebrew (or finnish, if you prefer :P ) to us. I can imagine Nazgulled's frustration with this issue and understand what he needs: "Please open Mandrake Control Center. Click on Hardware and... Write "/mnt/cf.." to the box..." etc.

Regards

Hashimoto

I run KDE 3.2 and mandrake 10.0 official...

the icon does not appear when I plug it in...

running the command: ls /dev/sda*

here's what I get: /dev/sda@

I navigated through konqueror to /dev/ adn there is no folder called sda the closest one is sd and listing that one I get: c0b0t0u0@

With my 10.0 Official and Gnome it pops up on the desktop when I plug it in. Haven't configured a thing...

EDIT: Sorry, forget my post, I thought you guys where talking about USB "Thumb-drives"... guess I should read more carefully before posting next time :oops:

Edited by TopDog

let's see... we have USB mass storage devices, usb pen drives, usb thumb drives, key drives, keychain drives, usb flash drives... ad nauseum....

are all those things the same thing??? I want one of those little 3-inch gizmos that you plug into your front usb port and backup all your stuff on them... whatever the hell they are called.... :unsure:

I was at CompUSA recently looking at these things (Pen Drive 2.0) and actually ON THE BOX it said Linux kernel 1.4.x - works automatically - requires no drivers. I was impressed seeing linux mentioned on a piece of hardware. Of course, it also mentioned that they work without drivers for winME, 2000 & XP, but at least the company mentioned linux in the same breath.

Do they actually work without hassle under linux?