Easy to use - non Gui firewall

phunni

Yep its not easy but ....

Theres a LDP howto ... Masquerading Made simple HOWTO...

8 pages ... including the basic text for it/

Anyway it will make the rules then the webmin module reads em and once they are in place they look a bit easier to understand .....

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK - using the iptables tutorial mentioned elsewhere and another firewall script I found, I have put together the following:

#!/bin/sh
#
# /etc/rc.d/firewall: start/stop firewall
#

IPTABLES='/usr/sbin/iptables'

EXTIF='eth0'
INTIF='eth1'

if [ "$1" = "start" ]; then
       /usr/sbin/iptables -F
       /usr/sbin/iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
       /usr/sbin/iptables -P FORWARD DROP
       /usr/sbin/iptables -P INPUT DROP
       /usr/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -m state \
       --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

#forward LAN traffic from $INTIF to internet interface $EXTIF
$IPTABLES -A forward -i $INTIF1 -o $EXTIF -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED-j ACCEPT	

#enable ip forwarding
/bin/echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

#enable masquerading
$IPTABLES -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o $EXTIF -j MASQUERADE

elif [ "$1" = "stop" ]; then

#flush rules and delete chains
$IPTABLES -F
$IPTABLES -X
       killall -q /usr/sbin/iptables
else
       echo "usage: $0 start|stop"
fi

#End of file

Can anyone confirm that it will work how I expect it to? i.e. 100% trusting anything from eth1 and doing ip forwarding masquerading etc... but only allowing "solicited" connections to eth0?

I'd like someone to chekc my script before I use it as my firewalling script...

Edit: also - is any of the above script redundant?

Edited by phunni

OK - I tried my script just to and it doesn't do what I want - eth1 is not trusted enough

I couldn't log in via ssh anymore, I didn't check to see if I still had internet access, but not being able to log in is already to strict...

All from HOWTO (Masq made simple)

Assuming external internet card is eth0, and external IP is 123.12.23.43 and the internal network card is eth1,
then:
$> modprobe ipt_MASQUERADE # If this fails, try continuing anyway
$> iptables −F; iptables −t nat −F; iptables −t mangle −F
$> iptables −t nat −A POSTROUTING −o eth0 −j SNAT −−to 123.12.23.43
$> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Then to secure it:
$> iptables −A INPUT −m state −−state ESTABLISHED,RELATED −j ACCEPT
$> iptables −A INPUT −m state −−state NEW −i ! eth0 −j ACCEPT
$> iptables −P INPUT DROP #only if the first two are succesful
$> iptables −A FORWARD −i eth0 −o eth0 −j REJECT

And thats it! To view the rules do "iptables −t nat −L"

edits except the vertical lie is MEANT to be a minus !!!!!

Edited by Gowator

OK, never mind - I tried it and it seems to work almost perfectly. I appear to now have a very secure system :D

I had my system tested by using this and it gave me a perfect pass!

The only problem now is that certain things are painfully slow - most notably picking up any email.

How do I specify that certain hosts are trusted?

Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!

One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.

Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.

All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.

Hum, wonder why that is :thumbs:

AAARRRGGHHH! This is sooo frustrating!

I tried to use some of the script in that tutorial and just got loads of errors (too many to try and figure out what was going on)

So I then reverted back to my original script - only this time it doesn't work, I don't know why though...

So I am now right back to the script that anon recommended - which is ok, but it does return pings.

I don't really get much of the iptables syntax at all, I'm getting more and more confused and less and less secure - all I want is a simple firewall which trusts my internale network and blocks anything I didn't ask for - but allows things like email etc.. through without having to wait an age for it

It seems to me like, unless you can figure out iptables (which I can't - and now I feel stupid to cap it all off), it's just about impossible to get a simple, but effective firewall going in linux, unless you are happy to use a GUI - which I'm not as I don;t want X running on my server

:wall::wall::wall:

Edit: actually - despite a couple of unexplained errors - my firewall script does still seem to work, so I'm back to figuring out how to allow a host to be trusted so I can pick up my mail in reasonable time...

Edited by phunni