Easy to use - non Gui firewall

phunni

I am currently using firestarter on my server. Trouble is - I have to have X installed in order to use it; even if I actually do tunneling via ssh (I think I'm right in saying that aren't I?)

What I'd ideally like is a firewall that's as easy to use and configure, but where all the config is done either via a browser interface or command line.

Does anyone know of such a thing?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also want to share a printer on the server running the firewall - most firewall distros that I have seen don't seem to support this. I mean it's obviously possible, but I'm not sure how much of a headache it would be...

Im currently running SME5.6 on a P100 with 96MB RAM.

So long as I dont use it for dynamic web pages like php with mysql databases it works great:D

The firewall part of it only needs a 286 powered machine, the sys requirements are mainly for advanced things... the webmail could be quicker.... but no big deal ... Its been running over a year now....I havnt even touched the box,.

OK - I have installed Arch Linux on my server (this can be moved to other distros if necessary, but it still seems like a basic security thing to me...) and have struggled to get any firewalls to install...

I have therefore, followed the instructions in the above iptables tutorial, which has at least got my network back online - and hopefully some security, although I'm quite nervous about this...

So, I still need soem help gettign a decent firewall going on my server. All of the above, with the possible exception of shorewall, which I will continue to look at, are not really suitable - being either too hard to use or simply innapropriate for my server.

Ideally, something that can be completely configured via a web interface I can run on one of the internal machines would be perfect. The firewall must allow for ip masquerading or whatever thing it is that allows my internal machines to access the internet via the server as a gateway...

Edit: I now have the firewall anon recommended up and running - this might be a suitable long term solution, but I want to explore how easy it is to maintain and configure before deciding for certain...

Edited by phunni

OK - my network is working a little too quickly for me to feel comfortable that I am properly protected...

My mail is coming through very quickly - this only happened before when I configured my mail hosts as trusted - I haven't done that here...

Also - X-chat logs me in straight away - it always took about 10 seconds or so...

Now if this is just an improvement in performance then fantastic, but I am nervous...

I saw the webmin module for iptables before and, I must admit, I didn't find it made things particularly clear...

Perhaps I'm just think, but the easier to maintain and configure the better - as far as that is possible while remaining secure...