Thinking about buying SuSe 9.1

Except for this one:

In WinXP, if you disable ALL network interfaces, will it STILL be able to make a connection to the net, or not?

when you say "net" i'm assuming that you mean interNET, not NETwork, right?

it may depend upon how you access the internet. if you disable all network interfaces, and you connect to the net via a LAN/NIC, you should not be able to connect to the network or to the internet.

otoh, its possible that this may not preclude connection via a modem. so it may depend upon how you want to access the net. i'm sorry that i can't say more about XP, as i've abandoned it altogether and gone back to Win2k.

hth!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:devil:

un, so far my impression isn't good. I've installed it twice, first time installed ran updates and system locks up before i can log in.

second time, installed didn't run updates, booted fine, ran updates system locks

:angry:

ok, it seems that it stops on Name Service Cache Dameon. so it hands you your ip and fires up ssh. so if anyone else runs into this,

ssh to the box

chkconfig nscd off

reboot

I was thinking about getting WineX since I'm content enough with only a few games (although Morrowind is a must-have),

Naughty me, ive skipped the whole thread :o

Ive just got Morrowind and I cant get it to work, WineX3.3

Have you tried it? I just get a black screen after the loader proggy.

Let me know if you do!

I was thinking about getting WineX since I'm content enough with only a few games (although Morrowind is a must-have),

Naughty me, ive skipped the whole thread :o

Ive just got Morrowind and I cant get it to work, WineX3.3

Have you tried it? I just get a black screen after the loader proggy.

Let me know if you do!

Iphitus, I don't have WineX (well, not yet), but am playing it under Windows at the moment. Morrowind is listed as a supported game in Transgaming's game database, so if you bought it and have problems, I think you are entitled to support. I already sent them mail with a few questions and they are very helpful and respond quite fast (especially considering I did not buy anything yet).

Also note that there may be a difference between when you try to run the already installed game, or if you run the installer with Point2Play (I think it's called that). And there's actually 2 executables: Morrowind.exe and Morrowind Launcher. But I think that Morrowind launcher gives you the opportunity to set a few options and then 'play' will launch morrowind.exe anyway.

Darkelve

Edited by Darkelve

I haven't done anything in winex for months, but 2.6 kernel might also cause a problem?

I'm sure if that was a problem, Transgaming would have made a mention of it. So far I haven't found a single page/thread that says this could be a problem. So I am ass-u-ming it should work.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JaseP

I'm a SuSE 8.2 --> 9.1 user and like the new distro. For the initiated, upgrading the xine installation is easy enough. The big problem is that on my laptop (the only machine I've upgraded so far), I've lost the ability to run Terminus and SimCity3000, two games I enjoy. I also nerfed the automounting for CDs by farting around, and will have to figure out how to fix that. Also, getting openGL games to run is a bear (at least with a Radeon 7500 chipset). It took 2 days to figure out how to get Quake3 and Descent 3 to run. I still can't get Terminus, SimCity3000, or VegaStrike to run. My guess is that it's related to OpenAL, if not SDL as well.

Everything else in the Distro is solid. Everything but Celestia, that came with the distro, ran right out of box. My problematic SanDisk Cruzer 128 was recognized and mounted automatically. The distro recognized and configured my built-in winmodem right away. The synaptics touchpad needed to be hand-tweaked to run correctly, else I couldn't get a click on a tap,... but otherwise the hardware was easily detected and configured.

I'll try to let you know how the desktop migration goes. I won't be doing that until I solve my other problems...