Problem with Desktop

LarryJ1234

Two things I would try. First, at lilo splash,hit esc and type "linux 3".

Then login to the commandline, and type "startx". It should either start or come back with problems. Post the problems.

Did you download the iso"s? Check md5sum?

If the screen background is red your logged in as root and you'll not have as many icons and things as normal. Make your self a user id and log into as that. The background will be the normal blue and you'll have more stuff on the desktop.

What hardware are you running? Maybe you need more memory to speed things up a bit.

How big is your swap partition?

Did you try a right click ? This could give you a context menu where you could get something done ?

This reminded me of something that just happened here. I boot to the cli and usually type "kde" to fire up KDE, but this time I typed "startx" instead and for some strange reason I found myself in BLACKBOX, which lacks any icons.

when you installed, did you test your video card & monitor before accepting the settings? if you get as far as the login screen, then the timer just hangs there, sounds like it might be video card/monitor related. to test the theory & make sure it's not just a KDE problem, have you tried logging into Gnome or another desktop? if you can't get into any desktops, & since it's a fresh install, i'd reboot using install CD1, choose upgrade, & when it gets to the final configuration screen, check your video card & monitor settings, adjust as needed, then test them before accepting.

Chris