Desktop environments.

neocytrix

so that makes icewm and enlightenment de's? Light de's? :P Then flux isn't far behind really is it? No, these do not control, and set, every aspect of an 'environment'.....fonts, icons, mime types/app associations among other things. Nope, they're wm's. Great wm's, but not Desktop ENVironments. Take the command

printenv

How much can these wm's control what you see with that command?

I think XFCE controls most of that, but much of it only by riding on Gnome's coattails.

Your mention of printenv begs the question: how does one configure those outside of KDE/Gnome?  Let's say, for example, XFCE... ;)

export

For anyone to be rt you'd have to find an established definition of Desktop Environment (as if there is such a thing).

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-...G=Google+Search

Reading this helped me remember that it does have it's own filemanager. I knew about the panel apps, and mouse/keyboard config but forgot about the useless filemanager. So, I appologize! I'd agree it is far enough along to be considered a DE! Andrewski has a good point though about it riding on gnome.

Actually, my point was that it was more of a parasitic WM feeding off of the healthy (some would say fat) Gnome. :) Sounds like the premise of some freaky fantasy/sci-fi book!

All that's to say that yes, these definitions are shaky, etc.

so wait...just because a XFCE4 uses GTK2 just like GNOME it's riding on it's curtails?

everything i saw indicated that, other than using GTK2 (a free, open toolkit that anyone can use) xfce4 doesn't rely on GNOME libraries...

i could, of course, start up xfce4 and check and see what's running....

tyme,

You have a point. GTK2 is the only thing XFCE must use, but many of the settings covered by bvc's printenv aren't configured by XFCE. As it's what I use, I've found that XFCE people (speaking of the regulars on the mailing list) seem to recommend using Gnome programs and configurations where XFCE leaves off. [thinks he should ask them what they think...]