Gimp 2.0 is out

toxaq

Yay! Check it out at the gimp 2.0 homepage!

Running windows 2000 at work but have managed to convince the powers that be that as web developers we don't need photoshop for the simple things. Of course half of the people at work baulked at the UI of 1.x, but with GTK2.2 installed, Gimp 2.0 it looks like it belongs!!

Just looking for a Mandrake rpm now (getting a bit bored with compiling, why does everything seem to be Fedora these days?)

Any way, congrats to the Gimp 2.0 contributors, it looks great (haven't used it much yet, but hopefully the improvements weren't just skin deep).

Edited by toxaq

It is the first stable release that is officially supported not only on Unix-based operating systems, but also on Microsoft Windows and Macintosh OS X.

Yea,!!! Rock on the Gimp ! :g-balloon::b-balloon::r-balloon:

it will support windoze???????

IMHO, that sucks...but still...GIMP rules...I must get 2.0!

I once almost converted someone to Linux simply for The Gimp...problem was, they were one of my gf's retarded friends and couldn't figure it out :P

Edited by Urza9814

and when will we see a cooker RPM of that beauty? :P

The different release candidates have been on cooker for ages. And I've been running The Gimp on Windows for almost a year, now. I don't really see the whole hoo-la.

But yes, Gimp2 rocks. Still far too context menu driven IMO, but: great stuff indeed.

-Sascha.rb

Doesn't look much different than the DEV versions. Most likely just got cleaned up and got all the bugs ironed out from 1.3 versions (which were small and minor as far as I seen) ??? I did see we support those EXIF tags now <insert woohoo here>

gimp doesn't do videos, really. there was some film-gimp project that got retitled, you may want to google for that...

but gimp is purely intended to do images, not videos.

the dev versions were, of course, leading up to this 2.0 release...so it has a lot of the same features. Along the way some of the filters would come and go in functionality (for a while supernova was broken, so was the bevel tool..). this release is a large improvement over the previous both in interface design (you don't just have the main window and a bunch of other windows, you can dock them and create your own setup and much more) and how it does some stuff (they did some recoding of plugins if i remember).

it may look the same at first, aside from the gtk2+ usage, but believe me - there's quite a few differences :P

Edited by tyme

I once almost converted someone to Linux simply for The Gimp...problem was, they were one of my gf's retarded friends and couldn't figure it out  :P

Um... most of the big Linux programs have Windows ports (and some OSX to). Just off the top of my head:

Mozilla

Open Office

Abiword

XChat

Gaim... they all have windoze ports. And it's a good thing because if people can see what the open source has to offer while using winblows then it will make it easier for them to move over to our side of the fence.

I once almost converted someone to Linux simply for The Gimp...problem was, they were one of my gf's retarded friends and couldn't figure it out  :P

Um... most of the big Linux programs have Windows ports (and some OSX to). Just off the top of my head:

Mozilla

Open Office

Abiword

XChat

Gaim... they all have windoze ports. And it's a good thing because if people can see what the open source has to offer while using winblows then it will make it easier for them to move over to our side of the fence.

And i have to use WIndows for school

So i use all those programs to make life easier.

Windows ports are good for people who are forced to use it for school or other reasons