Hurrah for Linux!

Lord Kenneth

I've gotten linux working well now, it seems. And I must say, windows is becoming increasingly useless. In fact, the main uses I seem to find for it are:

* DVD Authoring (I know you can do this in Linux, haven't tried yet)

* Nero Burning ROM (a nice windows program, yes. Seems more functional than the other windows burners.)

* Games (I have some that work on linux-- Ut2003, NWN. But how else can I play Battlefield 1942?)

I installed Linux on my 30GB HDD and Windows on my 120 GB. I changed my mind: Now the 120 GB is split, with half of it being mounted at "/" and the entire 30GB being /home (along with some swap space).

It's more stable (when it works, some things screw up thanks to less hardware support).

I've found the windows environments to be better than Windows' itself. GNOME looks far superior, and far more customizable.

urpmi (also the similar in style portage, apt-get, etc... ones) is an awesome tool and I cannot think of any windows counterparts.

Of course, I've left out the whole open-source thing, the kernel itself, and the free software: those are obvious.

Don't know why I'm writing this, except I'm pleased with how Linux has improved over the last two years (when I last tried installing it-- wouldn't work right, and I was stupid then)

For your burner, get to know k3b. I find it more useful than Nero! Also, I had a strange slow internet problem in kde, and could only correct it by using the 2.4.25-2 kernel rather than the 2.6.x kernel.

"For your burner, get to know k3b."

I had a problem in that i could not get mandrake to find the cd writer, it could see the cd rom but not open it. I'm not too bothered as I will have to upgrade soon anyway.

I'm also using scanners a lot. Do you know of any manufacturer of scanners that supports Linux?

For printers Epson used to rock. Now, better stay away from the Stylus color C82. I can give arguments but I'm already OT. Pm me if you want to know why it's a crap. 10 years me and my company used to buy only Epson printers. Now it's finished. Next time I'm going to give HP a try.

I have to agree with Ix when it comes to k3b, expecialy the newest version included in mandrake 10.0ce. It is a VERY robust cd and dvd authoring program. I have yet to open it up to burn something and find it fell short. Also, the new release of CD record that allows direct burning to ide/ata without scsi emulation is great for those with drives that support it (like me) and scsi emulation still works fine for the rest.

As for printers and scanners, I would still reccomend the same printer I've been reccomending fora while now. The HP psc 1210. It's a multi-function printer/copier/scanner. it's not anything you would do high-res professional work on, but it's great for anything a home user would want.

It's cheap, only $100.00

And best of all it plays VERY nicely with Windows, Mac AND Linux, so whatever you use, it's fully functional.

One of the many bugs in the 2.6 kernel that shipped out with 10.0ce causes it to not print, but there isa simple workaround to make it work under the 2.6, or you could correctly recompile 2.6 and have no workaround or you could install the 2.4 kernel that is also on the CD's and use it that way, so it's not a big deal.

Best of all, the ink is a lot cheaper thanmost HP printers.

HP is the greatest for printers, though avoid some of the officejets

The Deskjets and photojets are kickass!! i have 4 and all have worked perfectly, one click.

As for BF1942, grab yourself WineX, through CVS (it's in the FAQs here)

or get an rpm on BIttorrent from www.suprnova.org

Then run the installer with "winex3 setup.exe"

replacing setup.exe with the location of setup.exe on the CD, eg: /mnt/cdrom/setup.exe

then you need to do the same for the update

then run it!

Try the SANE project - Scanner Access Now Easy.

Thanks. I will have to do a lot more digging.

How about SUSE? How does it compare with mandrake in terms of scanner compatability? This is terrible. It would be so easy just to stick with windows but so annoying as well. but I've got the hjang of staroffice now so I can make up my own database :juggle:

I HATE Nero 6!!!!!! It refuses to burn ISOs on 700 MB CD-Rs "Not enough space available ERROR"

:wall:  :wall:  :furious3:  :furious3:

Nero 5.5 works fine on the SAME CD-Rs. Go Figure!!!  :screwy:  :screwy:  :screwy:

You have tried to update your Nero with the newest patch? I also had a similar problem while trying to burn MDK10CE-isos to my CD-RW's and Nero complained that there wasn't enough room for a ISO-file. Upgraded, and here we go...

I also have a question: does anobody know a (really) good MP3-player? Also support for other formats like XM would be highly appreciated. And capability to handle a very large amount of mp3-files...we're talking about thousands...I know, I guess over half of them are useless but when you have collected something, it would be a pity to throw it away...

I use Foobar while working with XP and it has everything I need. So does anybody have a good candidate for foobar in Linux world. I've heard that foobar was at least "going to be" ported to Linux, but just my imagination? And please don't mention WinAMP-look-a-likes...I don't need eye candy or masses of skins when playing music files!

This is a big deal, to me. With the improvements to Mandrake 9.2 and the help I have been able to find here on mandrakeusers.org I'm really happy with what I have in front of me. I quite literally have no use for Windoze anymore. Through reading the forums (and a lot of trial and error) I even have streaming Quicktime at a better quality than I have seen before. I haven't much tried burning cds yet, but I may give k3b a try. Gnome toaster seems to work pretty well, for all that I use it for. I do need to get my partitioning straightened out, since I'm constantly getting messages about not enough space in my /home directory (with two 60 gig hard drives?) whenever I download something big, but I'm sure I can work that out.

I'm going to wait for a power pack version of 10.0, since some things there seem to need ironed out further, but I can't speak highly enough about what I have been able to do with only a fast internet connection and the good will of the online Linux community.

As a matter of fact, I haven't done any updates to Nero 6. Thanks for the info. Just went on my MUST do list. :D

K3B is a wonderful program. It loves my NEC ND-2500A 8X all in one DVD/CD burner. The way it is looking, this burner may be the best purchase I have made for my computer, so far.

I am unsure about formatting DVD+RWs: whether these will become the equivalent of Rs as a result in K3B....

I am also a Powerpack user. However, the built in support for Nforce2 chipsets got me to tryout the Community Edition. I am glad I did.