installing java

raysr

I have been trying and trying to install java so Mozilla 1.6 will recognize it, nothing works. The java I am able to install (1.3.1) apparently won't work with Mozilla. It does work with Opera. So, I have downloaded jre1_4_2_04-linux-i586-rpm.bin. I cannot install it. I run it in shell and it gets to "--more--" and I don't have any idea how to scroll futher to "accept" the license so it will install. Any help would surely be appreciated. If you can help be as basic as posssible. Thanks in advance. :help:

Edited by raysr

You should be able to press the enter key and it will scroll the text line by line. If you press the space bar, it will scroll the text a page at a time. Eventually, you will get to a question as the bottom of the screen asking if you accept this EULA.

Have you checked out the tutorial on installing java in the tutorial section?

How are you trying to install Java? The Enter key and the Space Bar key are standard ways of moving through a document using the command line inside of a shell. You are trying to do this inside of a terminal right?

Actually I don't use Mozilla and at work at this moment, but maybe someone here can help you do solve the problem. I've already faced problems like this but I really forgot how to solve.

According to what I remember it was due to a wrong symlink or permission issues, not sure.

Bvc, are you there?!?!?

Some one should write a FAQ because this issue raises again and again: :wall:

EDIT: Ok, it's already here:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=12441

From DOlson's tutorial:

ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.x_0x/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin_oji.so

For Mozilla version >=1.4, it should be instead:

ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.x_0x/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin_oji.so

where "j2re1.4.x_0x" is the version of java you have installed, the lastest one is: j2re1.4.2_04

Edited by zero0w